Raoming charges

Started by jonno, June 14, 2017, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: caza1tooth on June 16, 2017, 19:49:23 PM
What about when I return to Spain with my UK PAYG and contract phone to ring Spanish friends/workers?  Is it still cheaper to text?

You will need to check with your operator.

As an example, O2 now charges the same international rates to call or text Spanish phones, whether you're calling from the UK or from Spain: £1.50/minute and 35p/text, for both PAYG and Pay Monthly. The Pay Monthly allowance does not include international calls. They do offer all sorts of add-ons or international calling cards, at a price of course!

I will no longer be using my UK O2 mobile phone in Spain: I shall stick to VOIP from WiFi zones! It's a real shame that the EU imposed this final date for the so-called abandonment of roaming charges....

jonno

Even tho the individual charge per min may have increased the actual packages are much more attractive. Friends of mine are on a package in UK which includes loadsa phone mins. loadsa MB of data and loadsa texts ....... and a smart phone for £10 per month. I have just started a contract with Hits which actually excludes texts and international calls. Costs less than 8E per month for phone mins and data which re are adequate for my needs but text and international calls mean I need to pay for those on top. Need to get calculator out.

caza1tooth

What about when I return to Spain with my UK PAYG and contract phone to ring Spanish friends/workers?  Is it still cheaper to text?

casablanca

Another one of the hard won benefits by our EU partners, for now?  :c023:

lmj52

Webejamin does this mean remoaning will be cheaper?  :c023:
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

guest4538

Quote from: jonno on June 14, 2017, 09:00:10 AM
I read in one of the local rags that roaming phone charges are scrapped this week. I thought this might give me chance of taking out a uk mobile contract for use in spain because I bought/registered my phone in uk. Uk mobile contracts are much cheaper and offer more than Spanish ones. Anyone thinking along those lines? It might seem to be too good to be true but worth a look.

The results of the final abandonment of roaming charges has not been as beneficial as we might have hoped!

Unfortunately the removal of roaming charges on 15 June has resulted in a significant cost increase in UK PAYG for making calls. Although the costs of using UK PAYG mobile sims in Spain were cheap for calling anywhere in Europe (and much cheaper than using a true Spanish PAYG sim in Spain): that is no longer the case! For example calling the UK and all other European Countries from Spain with a UK O2 sim cost 4p/minute prior to 15 June: it now costs 5p/minute to ring the UK, but £1.50/minute to call any other European Country, including Spain.

So, having a PAYG UK sim in Spain may now only be cheaper than a Spanish PAYG sim for calling the UK. So it's probably of little benefit to most folk in Spain, since VOIP calls anyway offer a far cheaper alternative! But there may still be some benefit for data users, subject to foreign fair usage policies.

telcaz

I have a Spanish smart phone which i bought outright and i use a Spanish sim,(HITS) PAYG, i ring my Daughter in the uk every week, also my Brother, both at very little cost.
                                                                              Terry

Karen4

Full details and information on changes to roaming charges are on the Citizens' Advice website, www.citizensadvice.org.es
Cl3880

jonno

I read in one of the local rags that roaming phone charges are scrapped this week. I thought this might give me chance of taking out a uk mobile contract for use in spain because I bought/registered my phone in uk. Uk mobile contracts are much cheaper and offer more than Spanish ones. Anyone thinking along those lines? It might seem to be too good to be true but worth a look.