Birds at dusk

Started by SKB, April 26, 2017, 17:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgin

There are plenty of Bee-eaters around.  They are very colourful and have red on the underside of their wings with a blue body. Their wings a quite angular.  They tend to be in small flocks (4 - 20).  Bea-eaters will commnly rest on powerlinesor on tree branches with a good view.  They build their nests in holes in muddy banks.  They make a tuneful  sound a bit lite a pea whistle.  However, swifts are around now as well.  They can be around at any time of the day but can often get into bigger flocks as the evening draws in.  Their undersides are a greyish colour but it can look a brownish grey.  Swifts tend to stay on the wing all day long (and can even sleep on the wing).  They have been known to stay flying for up to 10 months without stopping.   They make a more screeching whistle type noise

Val Keith

Yes they are about in La Perla......Sorry SKB don't really know what colour they are under there body, maybe it looks brownish as you look up.

shadeseeker

I have already seen one and heard them. Their normal average arrival time, according to a well known local ornithologist is 30th March in Cadiz province.  A few days later here.
Hope this helps.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

johnhc

Bit early in year for bee eaters, they don't normally come back from Africa until mid/late June.

SKB

I thought that they could be bee eaters but I can only see their underneath, which is a light brown.  My bird book does not tell me what colour they are underneath!  Any ideas?

Val Keith

Could it be the bee eaters, If you look with your binoculars you will find they are very colorful  .

SKB

Does anybody know what birds fly in their masses at dusk, high up over La Perla eating the insects.  They have quite a distinguished 'song' but so far I haven't managed to get my binoculars out in time before they have flown away!  I would really love to find out what they are.   :c017: