Is there much work for musicians?

Started by jonandeve, April 04, 2017, 17:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owdoggy

Quote from: jonandeve on April 04, 2017, 17:04:59 PM
Hi, I'm a sax player/guitarist with 30-odd years of gigging experience in the UK, and I'll be looking to form/join a band in Spain at some point in the future and I just wondered how much work there is to be had. Is it easy to get gigs and what's the going rate for venues to pay?
Many thanks, Jon.
PS - I look forward to meeting/jamming with some of you!

Welcome!

It depends on what you're after. If you want to put a few spondoolicks in your back pocket then fine although as Greggers has alluded to you are in the middle of Darby & Joan land here as far as Brit audiences go. You will, as most do here, be working on the black (illegally) which most of the time isn't a problem but the Guardia have been known to do the odd venue and the act have got themselves a fine & had their gear confiscated but that's mainly in the big touristimo areas.

If you want to make a living out of it and work legally then best of luck with that one marra.You certainly won't be living the Spanish dream because you'll be too busy touring & gigging ....... and you certainly won't be rich at the end of it either.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Doggy

twojaysalmeria

Oh, that's the best comment yet Greggers!!! ROFL

...and so true...

J

Greggers

If you can do 'The birdie song' you will do very well around the Arboleas area, and maybe beyond if you can master a bit of Roger Whittaker too.

Tetley

If you go onto the face book Mojacar Face book live music page most events & jams are listed there,if you can do somthing diffrent that would work,ie Keyboards/sax guitar,vocals and set a 3 peice up once you meet folks,most folks are doing blues/rock,wich works well,but there is a good opening for some easy listening George Benson ,Elton John,alicia keys ie somthing diffrent once you get sorted and find your way round.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

jonandeve

Hi, I'm a sax player/guitarist with 30-odd years of gigging experience in the UK, and I'll be looking to form/join a band in Spain at some point in the future and I just wondered how much work there is to be had. Is it easy to get gigs and what's the going rate for venues to pay?
Many thanks, Jon.
PS - I look forward to meeting/jamming with some of you!