Where did the Martin McGuinness post go

Started by PhillipJLloyd, March 21, 2017, 07:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trev

Quote from: PhillipJLloyd on March 21, 2017, 12:24:29 PM
Trev, I agree to a point, but we have to try and learn from our past, and unless we know the mistakes ,how are we going to learn ??

My apologies, I realize my post  was just as negative as those it was aimed at  :c029:
I agree that we need to learn the lessons of the past, but more than most I know that simply carrying the negativity of the past with you does more harm than good.
We bear the responsibility of taking those hard lessons of the past and teaching the next generation, not simply passing on our hatred and prejudices, no matter how justified we personally  feel they are.

Angleseyite

Quote from: gus-lopez on March 21, 2017, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: nic.spato on March 21, 2017, 11:43:46 AM
Yet another outpouring of bile and hatred from the usual suspects.
I ain't gonna get into a row with anyone, but just remember, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
He wasn't a "terrorist" or a "freedom fighter" just murdered others & arranged the murder of others.
Quote from: Angleseyite on March 21, 2017, 11:56:09 AM

Unless you want conflict for ever and a day, there comes a point where you have to move forward towards a more peaceful position. This is going to include some hard decisions and compromise, and that is an unfortunate fact of life.  :08:
That's why you should wipe all out from the begining.

Its good to have the opinion of a well educated person once in a while :57:

gus-lopez

I ain't gonna get into a row with anyone, but just remember, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
He wasn't a "terrorist" or a "freedom fighter" just murdered others & arranged the murder of others.
Quote from: Angleseyite on March 21, 2017, 11:56:09 AM

Unless you want conflict for ever and a day, there comes a point where you have to move forward towards a more peaceful position. This is going to include some hard decisions and compromise, and that is an unfortunate fact of life.  :08:
That's why you should wipe all out from the begining.

twojaysalmeria

Well,I can't really comment about the history of this forum since I haven't been on it that long but...but, I do not see the relevance of your comments with regard to this particular thread. Re-reading the comments, I see truly negative comments by three people who have each expressed that they were personally affected by the man's terrorist activities (which, of course, includes me).

Is it to be wondered at if such people find it hard to find any form of forgiveness for someone who actively condoned the mindless slaughter of innocents, who effectively waged war against our country?

I can forgive much but that's a step too far. Sorry I can't be Christian about this. No bile, no hatred towards anyone except those who have stepped beyond the pale of acceptable humanity, and no offense meant to any here.

J

PhillipJLloyd

Trev, I agree to a point, but we have to try and learn from our past, and unless we know the mistakes ,how are we going to learn ??

webejamin

I like things the way they are, relatively peaceful. If that's down to McGuinness and Blair, then good on em :bravo_2: It's an old story, where Kings, Queens and politicians create problems and the plebs have to pay for it. :72:
As has been stated by nic.spato, "One mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter". That's the truth of the matter, whether we like it or not :72:
Peace is better :08:

Trev

Quote from: PhillipJLloyd on March 21, 2017, 12:17:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with reminding people what people have done in the past, hopefully this stops the like forming the future.
Oh BTW, Hitler wasn't that bad after all !!
kind of proves my point really

PhillipJLloyd

There is nothing wrong with reminding people what people have done in the past, hopefully this stops the like forming the future.
Oh BTW, Hitler wasn't that bad after all !!

Trev

Sadly this generation seem to relish living in the past , it is much easier than making the effort to move forward.
Everything is someones fault(never ours) and they always want someone else to fix things for them.
Everyone else is a bad guy, there is only ever one side to any story or argument, anybody taking an opposite view has to be labelled because it is easier to deride than listen to the opinions of others.

Although they make good internet warriors, because it takes very little effort.

I have just spent 4 weeks in a secure Mental Health unit , surrounded by those recovering from overdoses of all kinds, people trying to live with the demons of their past,
people who believe they have no worth and do not belong in society, and yet there was more positive energy within that unit than there is in the 'real world'.
You only have to look at the discussion on the forum for the past year, they are filled with negative comments, this is simply another example.

Somewhere where everyone can come together and slap each other on the back whilst condemning the common enemy.

PhillipJLloyd

There is no excuse or reason to plant a bomb and kill innocent men, women and children.
( nic.spato Not a freedom fighter,  a coward. )
He should have been shot years ago, selse would have come forward for the "so called" peace process.

Angleseyite

Unless you want conflict for ever and a day, there comes a point where you have to move forward towards a more peaceful position. This is going to include some hard decisions and compromise, and that is an unfortunate fact of life.  :08:

Trev

Quote from: fidgetmidget on March 21, 2017, 11:47:37 AM

I am not a usual or indeed unusual suspect to stop tarring people rite the same brush, nor is it an outpouring of bile,  opinions, isn't that what a forum is for?

Not meaning to be rude but wishing someone a slow and painful death is hardly expressing an opinion.

fidgetmidget

I am not a usual or indeed unusual suspect to stop tarring people rite the same brush, nor is it an outpouring of bile,  opinions, isn't that what a forum is for?
Fidget Midget
Wer'e all going on a European Tour - Up The Clarets!
www.benidormsoulfiesta.com

nic.spato

twojaysalmeria

Mate, I wouldn't normally comment about politics on this or any other forum but there's no chuffing way I couldn't add to your excellent comments. The man was the worst type of so-called human who should have been targeted by the SAS or SBS years ago, preferably to die slowly in exquisite pain. I was working in the Admiralty from 1969 to 1976 and saw much of the misery, pain and suffering caused by the scum who were part of his organisation - the OAB, St James' Park Bandstand, MOD, hotels and even the bloody Anti Vivisection store in Whitehall were among the many places attacked that greatly affected me, my family and workmates. The tension one felt when going into a pub and seeing an unattended bag (on one occasion my girlfriend was to blame lol!) and memories of Woolwich, Manchester, Birmiongham are still raw.

I wish there really was a Hell for (expletive deleted) like him.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.

J.

fidgetmidget

My husband did 15 tours of Belfast with the Parachute Regiment, my son did 4 tours with the same regiment where he was injured..My uncle was very badly injured in the Lisneskea, Co Fermanagh bombing....I suspect we will all be celebrating tonight, just wish it had been a long protracted death. I make no apologies for my post.

Fidget.
Fidget Midget
Wer'e all going on a European Tour - Up The Clarets!
www.benidormsoulfiesta.com

Trev

Quote"First and foremost, Martin McGuinness was a much loved husband, father and grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and the family circle at this very painful time of grief and loss."

The man was instrumental in the peace process, and will be missed.

Trucker

so why did you take that down...or have you changed it...that is o so...Karma has taken to long..in my humble opinion the man has been stealing our air for 30 odd years..

Wrypop

Quote from: Hogs on March 21, 2017, 07:36:46 AM
Phillip

I removed it for a edit and rewrite,

Hogsy  :039:

So when will it be re-posted following the edit and rewrite?

doreen1

Martin and Ian will be remiscising now about the OLD days.

Tetley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

some  forum members lived it,otheres fought over it,and some of us watched it on tv,our Queen shook his hand,history and his God will judge him now.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

felipe

It was not taken down by admin but by Hogs as he said and explained above.

Wrypop

I would like to see the quote as well - why was it taken down?

PhillipJLloyd

Thought it was quite good, the way it was !

Just watching the BBC coverage, very surprising he wasn't knighted or made a saint !
Mentioned many times, its not how or what you do in life, its how you finish your life, hope for all you sinners out there.

PhillipJLloyd

Its disappeared ??