A scam.

Started by kerash, March 20, 2017, 21:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest17313

Same here, an offer of my £400 tax refund if I fill in the details....never even bothered to open the email link.

JessicaH

So true Gus but that would be in reply to a query...not cold calling offering money in exchange for someone filling in bank details......something HMRC already know.

gus-lopez

Not true to state that HMRC don't use emails. HMRC online support do.

jabba the cat

Go to HMRC website a search for scams paste their email address down and just forward the email on to them  do it with most scams,paypal is another popular one do the exact same........... theirs is ....spoof@hotmail.co.uk.    they do confirm they have received the email from you.its simple to do and it helps them chase these scammers up. :signspamani:

kerash

Thanks for confirmation.
Will do. I knew any normally came in post but was just checking.

JessicaH

This scam has been around for years.
HMRC never contact via emails and although aware of this problem are unable to stop it....so save yourself the cost and effort of contacting them.
Any email regarding money due/ owed one is unaware of, should be deleted without haste.

Rugby plod

I had a similar email phoned HMRC they stated they never email so must be a scam hope I can save you a phone call

kerash

I have an old hotmail account I don't use but clear every week. Today I received an email purporting to be fro HRMC saying I was due a refund on £400 plus. I don't pay tax I Uk. Also below it talks about self assessment which I have never done. Tells you to fill in a form.
Needless to say I have not gone into it and will be calling tax people in the morning.
Careful all out there to get your money.
Any advice on closing hotmail account down would be very welcome.
Kerash