Cal/furred up pipes

Started by MigMan, March 05, 2017, 16:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shirtsleeve

Hi before you start pouring anything down your pipework have a look at the small valves under the sinks, as they often collect large amounts of call and block up. It has worked for me on many occasions, just give them a clean.
Regards Steve

girasol

I used the white vinegar from the cleaning section of Mercadona.  We poured it in and left it over night.  The next day we ran one tap until the crystals starting coming through.  Very cheap and very effective.  Every so often you just need to take off the filter on the tap to get rid of anymore crystal build-up.

MigMan

Ok thanks for that yes some thing I may consider as its probably only a matter of time before we start getting the same problem, prevention is better than the cure so to speak. Thanks again

musicdonna

Hi, Migman,

I know that this doesn't directly answer your question, sorry, but shortly after we moved in we were advised to have a water-softening system installed and we managed to pick one up second hand.  This affects all water coming into the house and keeps all appliances completely calcium free, from the kettle to the washing machine.  When you've solved your present problem with the pipes, you might want to consider getting one.

Best wishes,

Donna

MigMan

Hi, does any one know the best way to decal the hot water pipes from the boiler into the house. I regularly do my boiler (twice a year) and have never had a problem with the internal pipe work, however I have been asked by a friend as they only have a trickle coming out. The boiler is clear but the pipes are solid. I thought about pumping the usual acid through but I'm worried about soldered joints so then I thought about vinegar or something similar, I can rig a pump up no worries just need to know what to use, or can anyone suggest a plumber with similar past experience that may have a better idea & can even come and do the job.
Its defiantly the pipe work as everything else ie, boiler taps etc are clear.
We don't want to rip all the pipe work out as this is a right task so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards Migman