Swimming Pool Won't Clear After Orange Sands

Started by trishtrosh, February 28, 2017, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macc

If you drop 1 inch or 1 standard 2.5cm pool tile vacuuming to waste on a 10x5 pool, you will be loosing around 1250 litres, and on an 8x4 you would loose 800L on a drop of 1 tile. Back wash should not really show a noticeable drop in water, and should only be run for around 1 minute or until the water in the sight glass runs clear. If you drop 4 tiles on a vac to waste you are moving tooooo slow, or you don't mind how much water you are loosing. And remember, if you have a pool cleaner, they will not worry how much water they waste keeping your pool clear and clean, it's a kind of hidden or delayed cost.

elliymob

Quote from: John n Julie on February 28, 2017, 11:45:33 AM
The sand is so fine it must be hoovered to waste otherwise you are just wasting your time the particles are finer than your filter medium.
Regards
John :great:

Having been through this before the above is absolutely spot on this is the answer OR use a pool robot with a fine filter set . Normal cleaning is a process of ever deminishing returns , allowing to settle then run jolly gel then clean again . A lot of water used either way as to waste or regular back washing is wasteful and not cheap .

johnhc

The tiles around the top of our pool are approx 8 inches high. Below them we have the fairly standard  small mosaic type tiles. 4 inches isn't much, or so my wife keeps telling me!

JessicaH

Just a trifle more than a back wash.....in which case might try it sometime. :c017:
Just realised you must have big tiles ..that equals 4 tile depth in our pool...thats tooooo much.

johnhc

JessicaH
Had ours done today and water went down just under one tile. (About 4 inches).

JessicaH

Should hope not Karen  :c029: but wherever it goes would still be interested in how much is water is lost with this method. 
Is similar to backwashing ?
Someone must know.

Karen4

I don't think you're allowed to pump it straight out onto the road!  :32:  We pump ours into the big barrels, let it settle, and use it to water the garden.
Cl3880

JessicaH

Can see the logic of hoovering to waste but interested in how much of the expensive water is being wasted by going down the plug hole in a country with drought problems.
IE how many tiles depth would be expected to drop on a 10x5 pool.

Keithg

Set the three valves in the usual position as if you are going to vacuum the pool, then turn the big valve from the 'filter' position to the 'waste' position. When the pump is turned on, it stops the water being recycled through the sand filter and just pumps the water onto the garden/road/backwash tanks etc. etc. Hope this helps.

Pickaxe

Quote from: wicking2006 on February 28, 2017, 14:12:45 PM
Hi Trish, Ray has get floctulant, put in leave 24 hours and slowly Hoover on waste. Jan
cheers for that jan will try that god bless lol

Raffingora

What are the pool setting so I can vacuum to waste, sorry for asking what may appear to be a silly question but I am new to pool cleaning.

sherbert

Jolly Jel
Works for me, might be a bit expensive but well worth it.

wicking2006

Hi Trish, Ray has get floctulant, put in leave 24 hours and slowly Hoover on waste. Jan

trishtrosh

We've turned the pump off and now letting it settle again before hoovering gently to waste.
Thank you all for your suggestions, they are very helpful. Hope it works! Will let you know in a few days.

lorca lad

Hi,

Try turning the pump off....... add Floculante... leave 36 hours, then hoover to Waste (as others have posted).

The Floculante carries the sand particles to the bottom.

Hoover VERY gently, as the dirt is easy to stir up again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
L.L.

John n Julie

The sand is so fine it must be hoovered to waste otherwise you are just wasting your time the particles are finer than your filter medium.
Regards
John :great:
If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all!

Lynden

Did you vacuum to waste and then replenish the water?. Also how old is your sand in the filter?
You could also use some Jolly Gel in the pump basket to help clear.

trishtrosh

We're having problems clearing our pool after all the orange sands falling. We've carried out all the normal cleaning ie sweeping, hoovering and backwash but its still murky.
Do we leave it to settle without the pump for a few days and see what happens? Never had any problems before.
Thank you