VGA to HDMI

Started by owdoggy, February 24, 2017, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owdoggy

Thanks to everyone for the replies but Simon from Advance Digital and Chisme have put me right.
It would seem that I am trying to convert analogue to digital and so will need a box and associated cabling to do just that.

Thanks again for the info.

Doggy

guest4538

Quote from: owdoggy on February 24, 2017, 12:52:59 PM
I have an old laptop that I used to plug into an old telly via a monitor (VGA) cable and everything was hunky dory but now I have a shiny new telly with HDMI inputs. Can I just get a VGA to HDMI cable to put the laptop screen on the telly or isn't it, as I suspect, as simple as that?
Any info appreciated.
Doggy

That's OK for the video, but VGA is only an analogue video signal and that might not work with some modern TVs. A DVI to Hdmi connection will always work. But whether you use VGA, or DVI,  to Hdmi, you'll still also need an audio connection.

Most modern TVs have an audio-in socket specifically for this purpose: it's frequently labelled "PC/DVI audio in".

The alternative is to use Chromecast or equivalent.

owdoggy

Quote from: rex780 on February 24, 2017, 13:44:26 PM
Hi

Seen this on eBay, it may well be what your looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Male-Video-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-DVD-HDTV-UK-NEW-/272529196013?hash=item3f740183ed:g:iDUAAOSwo4pYgcRF

Regards

Rex

Aye ta for that but the question is ....... will it work?

Suppose there's one way to find out of course

Cheers,

Doggy

owdoggy

I have an old laptop that I used to plug into an old telly via a monitor (VGA) cable and everything was hunky dory but now I have a shiny new telly with HDMI inputs. Can I just get a VGA to HDMI cable to put the laptop screen on the telly or isn't it, as I suspect, as simple as that?

Any info appreciated.

Doggy