CAN I ?

Started by turner, February 06, 2017, 17:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadeseeker

The short answer to your question is that technically yes you can transfer a personal DVD to your friends and family for them to play on their DVD players or computers. However there is a big "but"! Both you and the recipients need good IT skills and since you have asked this question I am thinking that this could be a big problem.
The easiest answer to your problem is to make sufficient physical copies of your original DVD and post them to your family.

To send your DVD to others you would need to create a special file on your computer that can be used by your family to "burn" a new physical DVD or can be used as a "virtual" DVD on their computers to view the content. (It's called a .iso file)
The size of the data file (the .iso file) that would be needed to transfer a DVD to your family is far too large to be sent as an attachment to an email so you will need to use  a method such as file storage in the "cloud".
For instance Microsoft "OneDrive" that usually comes free with Windows 10 allows you to store a file that can be "downloaded" by those people that you have given a "link". (There are many file sharing facilities available, some free and some paid for)
Your intended recipients each need the skills and computers to download the file from the cloud and burn a physical DVD or mount a virtual DVD drive.
This could become a worthwhile learning project but might not result in everyone in your family being able to get a DVD!

So ... providing that your computer has a DVD burner you can see why I suggest actually sending "hard copies" to your family!
best of luck!
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

turner

I have a DVD of cine films from my childhood, can I put in onto my computer and send it to family members? If so would I use email, facebook whatever?
Thanks for any help even if it's to tell me that it isn't possible.