WHAT ABOUT SPANISH POLITICS

Started by mimosas, January 22, 2017, 21:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webejamin

One day we're gonna be big byrney, one day we're gonna rule the world.

webejamin, can't fink who said that, was it Rambo byrney? :57:

byrney

"Brexit will only adversely affect Spain's economy if he wants it to" - hmmm - correct Webe - unfortunately they do have a track record of political suicide.

But then Spain isn't the only Country hell-bent on suicide eh?

webejamin

Brexit will only adversely affect Spain's economy if he wants it to, same goes for the rest of the EU really. If spain.co were to use their heads a bit, they could boost their economy after Brexit, but they do tend to do things a bit differently don't they. Property problems for one. :72:

ajc

Well lets hope the Brexit mess will pan out the same as the Euro decision for old Blighty
and in time it will be the correct choice.
I do have to say the Brits do seem to always punch above their weight and lets be honest
the EU as it is , seems to be stagnating unlike UK, fingers crossed eh.

Karen4

Rajoy is complaining about Ukexit and saying it will negatively affect the Spanish economy. It's not likely to support the case fir a Catalan referendum either.
Cl3880

Tetley

Quote from: ajc on January 25, 2017, 07:33:14 AM
Do you think the UK should have joined the euro ?

Well at 1.16 the UK has Euro converged as the original joining figure was going to be around 1.12 to 1.16 ,however Thatcher was bang on the money when she would not join fiscal union ie the Brits have control of there own fiscal policy and rates,in the euro they would not have done.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

ajc

Do you think the UK should have joined the euro ?

Karen4

You're quite right. I'm very glad I didn't take up the option to leave the occupational scheme I was in, in return for a lump sum. The pension is better! The state pension will be a great eaxtra when/if it ever arrives.
Rod, the rules have changed for the prison service staff and each home country is also different. Gone are the days of big payments at relatively young ages!
Cl3880

byrney

Bit late to try change the rules now Karen.

At least some people are now recognising the reality of their right-on campaigns.  Shame they didn't think through the consequences properly.  A bit like the hand-wringing open-doors immigration/social welfare policy.

Oh, hindsight is a marvellous thing.

Rod

I thought prison officers retired early anyway with a civil service pension, similar to police officers?

Karen4

Maybe we should be thinking of equity instead of equality, a much fairer route for everyone.
Cl3880

byrney

Sorry Karen, I recall you women wanted FULL equality, not a watered down version of what men have had to put up with ad infinitum.

Bear in mind also that by the time your daughter gets to that age the average prison population will probably be 80 with the inevitable increase in corrupt politicians, sportsmen and women, DJs, popstars, and other "professionals" charged with safeguarding our youngsters....

Karen4

...or at the very least, meet in the middle! My daughter's a Prison Officer and reckons she'll be working until she's about 70 in order to qualify for a state pension, I'm not sure that 70 year old Prison Officers are a great idea at all!
Cl3880

gus-lopez

Quote from: junepeter on January 23, 2017, 23:51:13 PM
Karen. I don't think you can blame the government for you having to work an extra 6 years, I think that is down to women protesting they wanted equal rights with men and that was one of the rights, work until you are 65.

Yes you can . Why wasn't the men's age reduced in line with the women's ?
It wasn't long ago we were being told that the reducing working week would allow us so much free time we wouldn't know what to do with it? They could have used some of that to reduce the mens age. If it had actually happened.

Karen4

I'm not sure that's the case, it's more a question of putting back retirement age for everyone, but the notice period was the problem. It will be very nice to have a bit extra every month if it ever does come, assuming they don't keep shoving the goalposts always just out of reach!
Cl3880

guest14507

Karen. I don't think you can blame the government for you having to work an extra 6 years, I think that is down to women protesting they wanted equal rights with men and that was one of the rights, work until you are 65.

Karen4

You're so right about never being able to trust them, that's ANY of them, those governments who go back on their word. When I started work my contract with the government stated I'd retire on state pension at age 60, then suddenly the rules changed with little/ inadequate/no warning, so I have another 6 years to wait. Every single government is as bad as the rest.
Cl3880

gus-lopez

Quote from: StellaL on January 23, 2017, 16:35:20 PM
Don't agree about the cost of living being on a par Rod. We pay £1200 council fax in the U.K.  In Spain I think it is about €300. Same differences apply to the cost of water. I have taken people's comments on board. Perhaps what I really should have asked is why so many ex-pats, who were eligible, didn't bother to vote in the Referendum. Getting back to the original topic, am I correct in thinking that it is now 13 months since the Spanish general election and still no new government?
Yes there is a spanish government. It is the bearded one allowed to run a minority government where the opposition groups have a majority.

I voted in the UK referendum .Legally I shouldn't have been allowed to as the correct referendum voting procedure used normally is " Local election & referendum rules" which specifically excludes "anyone not on the electoral roll " & in the Uk.
The referendum was held using " General election rules" - This allows expats to vote & anyone who is a UK citizen or has the right to permanent abode. Additionally the Citizens of Ireland,Malta, & Cyprus resident in the UK had the right.
By using GE rules it disenfranchised all the EU citizens living & working in the UK & who would have had the right to vote under the correct voting procedure.

This also raises additional grounds for legal action against the result on A ) how can members of three independent EU states have votes in another whilst the remaining EU citizens of 25 other states have no right ?
B) Why were the correct rules not used ?

Most people only took the route to live in Spain, or other EU states , under the reciprocal agreements allowing work,retirement ,etc; on that basis .
They didn't expect that there was any possibility of a Uk withdrawal   , & most wouldn't have contemplated it if they thought that there was any possibility of an about turn.
We all know now that The Uk can never be trusted again to stick to any agreement made.
Now we've had a reffo on  the EU when are we going to get one on carrying firearms? Bringing back hanging ? you know some useful things.

zilnor

Yes, my council tax is £1500 a year. IBI is much cheaper.

Stella, absolutely agree with you about voting, not just ex-pats. Can't understand why people did'nt vote on something as important as the referendum. But as JoJo and others have said, apathy, apathy !

I do think that those ex-pats who have lived outside thecUK for 15 years or more, and who still pay taxes in the UK, should have had a vote.

Rod

"Virtually on a par".
Council tax is cheaper but electric is dearer here for me. Also find that water here is now more expensive but of course did not have a pool in the UK.VAT is charged at 21 per cent on electric too.

StellaL

Don't agree about the cost of living being on a par Rod. We pay £1200 council fax in the U.K.  In Spain I think it is about €300. Same differences apply to the cost of water. I have taken people's comments on board. Perhaps what I really should have asked is why so many ex-pats, who were eligible, didn't bother to vote in the Referendum. Getting back to the original topic, am I correct in thinking that it is now 13 months since the Spanish general election and still no new government?
Stella

byrney

Also Stella, some of us who live here permanently still pay taxes to the UK Government, so have an interest as to where that money is going.

Tetley

Quote from: StellaL on January 23, 2017, 00:55:21 AM
One thing that fascinates me about this whole Brexit business is how so many people living in Spain have such strong opinions on the whole issue, having chosen to leave the UK and live in Spain. Again, just my opinion, so don't all jump on me and hurl insults.

Stel,if yer lived in New York but had a home in Florida as well and Florida wanted to leave the USA yed probably get the same anx on the job

some people have uk homes &  assetts,pay uk and spanish taxes,and have a large portion of there econamic intrest in the UK,to be honest unless you have a spanish DNI  card your a tourist in the govies veiw in the big smokes that make the rules for the punters.

what ive been AMAZED  at is people with an EU assett voting OUT  ie a home in the sun,were they need free movment and medical that COULD BE  in question as the brexit un folds,they have also banged them self in the nutts on there asset price and probably lost a sack on coin on paper until its all sorted over the next 10 years and everybody knowes the score.

however all acedemic now,its Brexit time so lets have it done,if there was another reffo next week,the result would probably be the same as people just want it dun and an end to the talk talk ,if,buts,and meybee,s

the  time is now.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Tetley

For any newcomers,this might be worth a watch,it may also help explain the right wing & left wing polatics and dealing with government depts whom staff were educated under dictatorship,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RhewkQbOk

my kid went to a Podemos rally last year,he got talking to an 80 somthing old man,whom was in tears,because his brother was a socalist in the 30,s and was sent to a death camp,the man my kid talked to moved out to London and raised a family in the UK and never thought he would see socalisme again in his life time in spain.

Also the Arboleas Mayor,there are plenty of comments abought roads and bog pipes,but this chap as a young man in the 1980,s helped bring in the transion from right wing Facist state after Francos death in the mid 70,s  to political freedom and a  modern local outlook we have today around Arboleas.

there is a lot of local political history around these parts,burnt churches,hung preists,people thrown down mine shafts,family against family the politics have come through some very hard times as have the people.

Rod

Just because we left the UK does not mean we do not care what happens to it. The whole Brexit thing effects us greatly, from health care, pound to euro, children and grandchildren living there etc.etc.
As Stellal said we have lived many years in the UK, paid taxes, drawing pensions etc. We came here for the weather and cost of living of which the latter is virtually on a par now. We love the UK and don't want to see it go down the pan.

Jo-JoB

Quote from: StellaL on January 23, 2017, 00:55:21 AM
One thing that fascinates me about this whole Brexit business is how so many people living in Spain have such strong opinions on the whole issue, having chosen to leave the UK and live in Spain. Again, just my opinion, so don't all jump on me and hurl insults.

Because people have family friends children and financial links etc with the UK. What happens in the UK directly affects those who are ex Pats,

I find it more fascinating that some people wouldn't care? I can't just turn my back on 40+ years of my life, and not still have an interest.

I don't live in Manchester any more but still support United.

StellaL

Stella

Karen4

I don't understand what you mean byrney, he IS only in a temporary job, the round of electioneering will start all over again in 3 years, and, if it turns out he's done a good job then he may find himself re-elected for a second term, but no more than this as no President may serve more than two terms. He's not really going to "have his finger on the button" anyway, is he? 
As for Ukexit, I think that has very far-reaching and immediate consequences for British citizens, no matter where they live, as it's a real sea-change in direction for the country with potentially major changes in the status of many individuals. Just my view too, of course!  ::)
Cl3880

byrney

Simple Nibbles - not everyone is het up about Trump.  I'm not.

"Trump is only in a temporary job. Ukexit is rather more far-reaching!" - really Karen?

I beg to differ, but note your opinion.

Karen4

Trump is only in a temporary job. Ukexit is rather more far-reaching!
Cl3880

nibbler

It begs the question then Byrney, why is everyone het up about Trump. It's a done deal and they have to live with their choice as we have to live with Brexit.
We don't have to like it but we're stuck with it and the sooner all these wanna be politicos get that in their skulls, we can probably move on< :72:
Nibbler.

byrney

Maybe because we have no influence watsoever in Spanish politics, so why bother winding ourselves into a frenzy about something of which we have no influence - when we can get really wound up about stuff like Brexit over which we also have no control?

Best sit next to the pool/sea and have a pleasant drink whilst looking into the sunset, living the dream....

mimosas

Much discussion on BREXIT AND TRUMP but why so little interest in SPANISH POLITICS ? This surprises me because the majority of forum users presumably live in Spain - maybe you need a FARAGE or a TRUMP thrown into the mix, or will that be a  :32:.