Pellet burner central heating l

Started by alanjune, January 15, 2017, 16:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanjune

Talldude

We have a pellet burner heating system, which is rated at 29kW and feeds 10 radiators.  It usually gets run for 4 hrs morning and 6 hrs evening, using about 1 bag (15kg) pellets (€4.20 a bag).  It keeps the house pretty warm (we need it up in the mountains 1100m up) and the pros of this system over a log burner with back boiler is that it has a timer system, allowing it to come on and turn off several times a day if necessary.  This means a nice warm house on getting up, and when you come in after a late night out - no faffing about lighting a log burner.  The hopper takes 4 bags of pellets, so I only need to fill it every 4th day and the 60kg of pellets produces only about 1-2kg of ash. As it is a sealed system when working, you don´t get clouds of smoke ruining the paintwork.  The cons of the system are that it is more expensive to buy and run, there is a constant fan noise (but you get used to it), you need a UPS to keep it running when the electricity goes off and somewhere dry to store your bags of pellets.  The system was already in the house when we bought it, so it wasn´t a choice I had to make about what sort of heating I wanted.  Would I buy it over a log burner system - yes, for the convenience and cleanliness, but my preference would be for a gas fired system like I had back home.  Oh, and yes, I´d have the bloody house insulated to stop the heat I produce wasting away through the walls!   :c002:  Hope this is useful.

Eddie

peacie

Lord Lucan, many thanks for that information, I will definitely be looking into it.

lord lucan

Hi Eddie, it's a 16 kilowatt burner, we think 12kw heats the water and we get 4kw of heat from the fire. Plenty to heat the radiators through the house and heat the open plan lounge.
Peacie, it cost just under 5000 euro, fully installed by Carlos Saliente, but that was about 7 years ago and it was a relatively new idea. You may get a stove cheaper now. Ours is an Edilkamin Comfort Stove which was quite expensive, there may well be cheaper options around now. Costs us around 500 euro in wood each winter and the stove is lit most days, usually from early afternoon. We think it's the best thing we ever did!

Eddie

Hi lord Lucan, do you know what the output us from your back boiler.

peacie

How much did you pay for the back boiler and radiators please?

lord lucan

We have a log burner with back boiler that runs 8 radiators that heat the house for the same cost as just using a log burner. Wouldn't use anything else now. Yes, good insulation helps, but we noticed the difference in warmth with the central heating even before we had our double glazing. :051bye:

Lynden

Whether oil or pellet burner central heating the biggest issue you will have with any Spanish home is lack of insulation. The Pellet burner systems are very good but if your home has no insulation the heat will vanish.
I'm surprised no entrepreneur hasn't started up a business thermal wrapping villas. Keep cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
If you do go for a pellet system ensure you have one with a large enough hopper. Standard units hold around 15kg which will last about a day and a half with a full heating system. That's only using it when necessary and not all day.
Use gas for hot water (combi) as this is the most efficient and cost effective. Most solar hot water systems are overpriced and don't last long.

alanjune

Anyone installed pellet burner central heating with radiators .How efficient are they.