Caul-The embrane to wrap faggots

Started by JETSKIBALA, January 10, 2017, 16:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougar

ColinC

Quote from: cougar on January 28, 2017, 14:19:21 PM
Do you have a recipe for your faggots please, and where do you get the ingredients from?

There are many variations, but for me I use a 500g of minced pork, about 250g or less of pigs liver. I put the liver through a blender to make it smooth and easier to mix. Mix by hand. I make breadcrumbs from left over bread, and for that quantity I would add about 2 mugs full... Add salt and plenty of pepper. about tablespoons of dried oregano and sage mixed together. Dissolve 2 OXO or beef stock cubes in a tiny amount of water.. Oxo are best as they dissolve easier.  Chop two good size onions and soften in pan before adding to the mixture. Form into balls and roll in flour. Place in roasting tin, put in oven on about 170 for 30 mins. Prepare gravy, either home made or instant and pour over faggots, return to the oven for another 20 minutes ... then serve.. I prefer with wedges and mushy peas!

cougar

Do you have a recipe for your faggots please, and where do you get the ingredients from?

ColinC

Hi Linda,
I often make Faggots and Caul is very difficult to get hold of. I tend to hand form them and then roll them in plain flour before baking them, I use breadcrumb to help bind them.. It works for me if that is any help..

Colin

JETSKIBALA

Hi
Does anyone know where I can get fresh or frozen Caul, this is the fatty membrane from a sheep's stomach, used to wrap faggots or Greek shelftalia to keep them together.
If anyone know anywhere within 20km around Albox I would be very grateful.
Many thanks
Linda