Uk channels on 80cm dish?

Started by Tribalnovice, December 24, 2016, 15:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sat

Quote from: Piedra on January 06, 2017, 10:59:09 AM
I have a sky box ( no subscription ) & get limited channels.Would a humax box get more channels on our 1.4m dish or just the same ?

A Sky digibox, even with no viewing card inserted, gets about the same channels as a Freesat box.
And as channels on SKy and Freesat use the same three satellites, and same signals for their channels, if you cannot receive a channel NOW on your Sky digibox, simply swapping to another receiver will not magically receive those channels. The main factor in channel reception is size of dish in your location...

Piedra

I have a sky box ( no subscription ) & get limited channels.Would a humax box get more channels on our 1.4m dish or just the same ?

Tribalnovice

Thankyou for replies, so if I get a motorised 80cm system and correct decoder, I supply enter in a code number every so often that can easily be found on the web? Most of all, we are sure 80cm will pick them up?

sat

Quote from: byrney on December 25, 2016, 16:54:18 PM

I still don't understand the need for satellite dishes now that Internet access is relatively good in Spain (compared to rural parts of the UK)..

Maybe because direct from the broadcasters offers better quality than third party pirated streams....
And you are not relainant on thrird party pirated streams (if you use filmonm or kodi etc)
For example Filmons paid "HD" service is no where near the 720 resolution that is HD...and many of the other "free" streams are also lower quality than direct from satellite.
And many campsites dont have good internet, especially for streaming.
And bars like the live feeling of satellite, rather than the minutes delay via the internet...(seen two bars one with internet tv and one with satellite...the one with satellite was full the other not, as they saw the action live rather than delayed...distracting when one bar cheers for a goal a minute before the other sees it...)
And satellite covers move area cheaper and more reliable than internet.
And handles HD and UHD better...
And viewing does not get disrupted the more users that are viewing....
could go on, but no point...for the moment satellite is still much better than internet tv, well until the EU makes true pan european broadcasting available and we can access all EU channels all over the EU direct from the broadcasters...if the UK will be bound by those rules.

byrney

Can you not get it via the Internet?  If so, you can get the lot via things like Filmon.

I still don't understand the need for satellite dishes now that Internet access is relatively good in Spain (compared to rural parts of the UK)..

sat

Yes.
It may just about be able to pick up some UK channels from the Astra 2 UK TV satellites.
Some of the non popular free channels, and the majority of the sky pay channels.
But none of the BBC ITV C4 or Fiver channels...too small.
But if you want these channels, the consider the intelsat 907 system, where you need to hack into encrypted feeds, but should be ok on that sized dish...for how ever long the system will continue...

Tribalnovice

I'd like to know if a 80cm dish for our motorhome can be used in any way to pick up uk channels?
How can it be done and at what cost?
Thankyou