English family moving to the area any help or hints tips on do's and do nots?

Started by carlandjoanna, October 26, 2016, 19:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetley

OK  let,s sum it up ,if vey got a job on contract paying yer medical for the family,netting a grand a month for a home owner, ( not a renter )your happy that your kids,may start school,but loose there european citizen ship half way in with all its implications..... as yet un known thats fine

the education is firm but fair,the medical is good,the family life is good/the best

if your coming out with no work or no uk income,dont bother,its to hard especially with kids

its all well and dandy adults rolling the dice and taking a risk,but risking yer kids fetures is a diffrent ball game,if my kid had been 12 he would have been back in a uk school by now as in all concience i could not have risked getting him to 15 to 18 in the exam years  and some bunch of EU /UK  political tits saying sorry son EU game over off yer go.

in short it could be mam & dads dream,but end up been the kids nightmere in later life if there life chances have been reduced to to an EU /UK  political X up.

good luck with what ever you decide.

:thumbsup:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

OSCARPED

Hi hope some of this was helpful ,! As you can get from some of the posts there is a difference of option to what people expect ! Just come with an open mind and ENJOY  IT'S GREAT
Hope all goes well for you :wave:

Jo-JoB

GUYS!!! Can we stop the Brexit banter, it's not helping Carl & Joanna with the information they require.

Brexit has been done to death, and there is a special are on the Forum if you want to talk about it.

Carl & Joanna, if you need any advice, from my personal experience, (I've been here 3 years) here are a few people who's advice I have found helpful in the past.

Tetley, Karen, Hogs, Queen Clair Shirley, Roger and Felipe. This is my personal experience, and doesn't mean others opinions and advice are not of use.

Also, you can ask me, I am not an expert, but have recent experience. so feel free to PM, I wish you both and your family well for the future.

Tetley

Hogs,yer make yer own luck,on my lads course,there are kids with full econamic degrees ie 6 year terms now doing 6 year term law degrees,other kids are doing there degrees and taking low paid jobs,other kids have gone to the UK to work,his Ex Flat mate is NHS Nursing,full degree educated in Spain and luves working in the UK.

on the other side of the coin,i have a UK friend thats just done a full uk law degree & masters degree,costing with spends,accoms,books,fees, around  £75000  and has had to take an office job because they carnt get a job in the law.

roll the dice  :)

plus glass half full,once our UK Rexiteers have finished there master plan,Spain may pick a few jobs up in the finance & car plants,infact if Nissan open local,i think il get mi Britool tools polished ready for a start ,im sure they will give a mechanical old dear a job....even a UK old dear / o dear...... :laugh:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Tetley

Quote from: JohnJones on October 30, 2016, 20:46:01 PM
It's no place for children. Much better launch pads into the world, but not here and do not buy. If you have a house in the UK rent it out and rent here. Very different markets. There's nothing here for youngsters. At all.

I think it depends on the kid,there is very little work,but some kids potter on and make there own luck and find work or make work, or if you have a kid that gets stuck in at school,you can send then to a state uni for 6k a year all in,ie acoms,fee,s books,spend,s they wont be leaving uni with a 50k debt after 3 years as per the UK and of coarse will be by lingual, at my kids uni there are a few Brit kids that enrolled on diffrent coarses and are doing there degrees in Spain,rather than getting saddled with masses of uk debt.

:tiphat:

JohnJones

It's no place for children. Much better launch pads into the world, but not here and do not buy. If you have a house in the UK rent it out and rent here. Very different markets. There's nothing here for youngsters. At all.

BassBunny

Quote from: Jay on October 29, 2016, 09:18:37 AM
Why does it always come down to Brexit and immigration, the vote to leave was all about immigration according to the politicians because the real reason was so unpalatable to them it is easier to have the smoke screen.

It was more a vote of no confidence in the UK government and the European government and the worse thing is they are still not listening, instead of hard Brexit, soft Brext or even how the European government want to punish the Brits for standing up to their fundamental right of freedom and self determination instead of becoming part of a giant Borg, they should be asking what exactly has gone wrong in the last 10 years to make so many people unhappy, not just Brits but many of the older EU members even those that rule Europe now have discord in their ranks. They had rules, regulations and goal posts to qualify for entry into the club, but the minute you start to water that down to allow those in that cannot sustain themselves let alone pay club fees you devalue what you had, it is now so devalued it is not worth the paper it is written on and to loose who you are because someone wants a bigger gang is not justification enough.
The most succinct and well presented reason for voting to leave the EU I have seen. Well Done Jay and sorry for carrying on with the highjacking.
Carlandjoanna, I wish you well in your move and hope it all goes well.
I would echo what has already been sent and now that I have got over the dealings with one of the more "shady" Estate Agents, hope to continue with our move over there.

lmj52

Hi carlandjoanna
I hope you have had some constructive and helpful ideas. Hopefully you haven't been put off by the negative comments. I'm sorry your post has been hijacked by the constant bickering between remaines and Brexiters.
Good luck with your plans and I wish you well.  :tiphat:
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

zilnor

Jay.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
Very well said.
Some of best words I have seen so far on why so many millions of people have become totally disillusioned with the EU.

nibbler

Jay

Why does it always come down to Brexit and immigration, the vote to leave was all about immigration according to the politicians because the real reason was so unpalatable to them it is easier to have the smoke screen.

It was more a vote of no confidence in the UK government and the European government and the worse thing is they are still not listening, instead of hard Brexit, soft Brext or even how the European government want to punish the Brits for standing up to their fundamental right of freedom and self determination instead of becoming part of a giant Borg, they should be asking what exactly has gone wrong in the last 10 years to make so many people unhappy, not just Brits but many of the older EU members even those that rule Europe now have discord in their ranks. They had rules, regulations and goal posts to qualify for entry into the club, but the minute you start to water that down to allow those in that cannot sustain themselves let alone pay club fees you devalue what you had, it is now so devalued it is not worth the paper it is written on and to loose who you are because someone wants a bigger gang is not justification enough.

Tetley

Quote from: StellaL on October 28, 2016, 22:59:23 PM
Quote from: Iceman on October 27, 2016, 11:58:02 AM
( It's fine for pensioners who don't need to make a living .)  Not quite correct as they are the ones most effected by exchange rates, thanks to those racist who voted to leave the EU and caused the pound to crash
Please could moderators explain why this post has not been removed and why Iceman is allowed to call people who voted to leave racist.

Or just ask Ice to amend the post to" some racist,s " as not every OUT  voter was  a racist,they were just consearnd abought the impact of mass EU imigration into the UK.

:thumbsup:

however it is academic,because certainly in Spain the Brit nation is now veiwed as Racist after the inital shock of the refferndum result on the 24th.

StellaL

Quote from: Iceman on October 27, 2016, 11:58:02 AM
( It's fine for pensioners who don't need to make a living .)  Not quite correct as they are the ones most effected by exchange rates, thanks to those racist who voted to leave the EU and caused the pound to crash
Please could moderators explain why this post has not been removed and why Iceman is allowed to call people who voted to leave racist.
Stella

rt21

Quote from: landrock on October 28, 2016, 18:42:45 PM
Richard, thanks, some might call it reckless.  After a "safe" RAF career as a young officer in NI, FI, Germany and Belize, I developed a sort of "free approach" to everything.  Can vote, but can't strike (in another 20 years as Civ Serv in prisons post RAF as well) so I have become quite self dependant.  The system works, or it don't, basically.  After that its up to me, or you. Everything is really "there".  You decide whether it is positive or negative.  I'm so looking forward to when it's all so simple, and everything is some else's fault! Per Ardua!

Some may call it reckless but it's no good reaching old age having not taken chances in life.

As zilner rightly says it's good to hear from someone who has a positive and optimistic attitude.

Must go as I am looking forward to a couple of pints with my friends after exhausting hour of badminton.

Richard

zilnor

Land rock,
IT is good to hear from someone with such a positive and optimistic attitude to life . ".  .....an open mind and self belief......" .  :clap:

Too much negativity on here .

As I have said in a previous post, I enjoyed my life in Spain and you certainly will. I wish you well .  :wave:

rt21

Quote from: landrock on October 28, 2016, 17:53:19 PM
Hi C & J,

Here's a different view based on our 11 months here.  We popped into Albox for a week in April 2015, saw 8-10 houses every day and finally put in an offer for one on our last day here.  It was accepted, we signed over power of attorney to a solicitor and disappeared for 7 months, keeping in touch by email.  We got here last December, picked up the keys, found our new home and muddled our way through. Not much income coming in, but we'd blown our savings on a cash purchase here.  Little by little, things got sorted out.  Just talk to the right people at the council, or wherever you discover, rather than those who've done it years ago. Maybe it was our experience of 8 mandatory rather than chosen moves when I was in the the RAF, but we just decided we'd like to make the choice for once, so we took it and haven't regretted a thing - so far.  Yes, loads of things are different, difficult and bewildering.  But if you come with an open mind and some self-belief you'll have a cracking time.  If Brexit blows it all apart, so what?  Back to UK. If it lingers on, so might we. Only got one life each, so why not give it a go? Or don't.  Per Ardua!

You seem to have a great attitude landrock. Hope it continues to work out well for you.

Richard

Tetley

Quote from: Lynden on October 28, 2016, 14:37:59 PM
Tetley, the UK has been the laughing stock of a Europe ever since Maggie T was thrown out. Why? Because unlike most EU countries the UK obeys the rules and is seen as a soft touch. Just look at Tony B.liar, while everyone else in Western Europe took a conservative approach to the Eastern states integration, he just opened the door.
UK politicians are a pathetic bunch, so stop blaming the ordinary people of the UK and calling them racists.

As to the OP and back on topic, Clare has provided a very detailed and positive view of this area. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, especially at the town hall. If your kids are young they will love it here, and provided you have a steady income, even low by UK standards, you can still live well here despite the exchange rate......most of us manage nicely without insulting our own countrymen.

yes we had never had it so good .... :thumbsup:

ps as for the uk folks.... i aint calling them fizz all.....infact i dont give a monkeys...its what there been called here ! ie  anti european comunity un educated red necks,its not my veiw,i think there all wonderfull bless em.. :)

Lynden

Tetley, the UK has been the laughing stock of a Europe ever since Maggie T was thrown out. Why? Because unlike most EU countries the UK obeys the rules and is seen as a soft touch. Just look at Tony B.liar, while everyone else in Western Europe took a conservative approach to the Eastern states integration, he just opened the door.
UK politicians are a pathetic bunch, so stop blaming the ordinary people of the UK and calling them racists.

As to the OP and back on topic, Clare has provided a very detailed and positive view of this area. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, especially at the town hall. If your kids are young they will love it here, and provided you have a steady income, even low by UK standards, you can still live well here despite the exchange rate......most of us manage nicely without insulting our own countrymen.

Roger

I would have thought that we all have an obligation to potential new residents about the problems they could face.
We should not paint it as only positive without pointing out the problems.
Some people come out thinking they can easily find a job, so they should be warned about the problems.
And surely everyone needs money to live on, either a large pot of monmey or an income.

nibbler

Surely the idea of the original post was to get information that will help them when they get here which Claire's post did.
If I was reading Roger or several others posts I would have been put off even setting foot on Spanish soil which is unfair.
Also why do you assume that the questioner will need an income just because they are a young family?????
Nibbler :tiphat:

freddie

Have to agree with Roger and Tetley, sunshine is lovely but no work and no or little money dont make for a happy life.  You have to be realistic when coming here,  as a retiree its fine because in the main people have the where with all to pay their way.  I was only talking to someone last night who worked for a spanish company here, spoke the lingo but was still let go, when times got tough "because we have to look after our own first) .  Hope you have the funds and the initiative to make it work here - it is a great life.

Tetley

To be honest i thought Rog was bang on,maybee its just the years of seeing people come & go thats spent up and left, and Rog has also done his own homework on the implications of loosing our EU Citizen ship.

:drama:

zilnor

I lived in this part of Spain for seven years and enjoyed my time there.

Rent first, for a year so you will experience all four seasons. Mid-June to beginning of September can be unbearably hot. For us, a pool and air con was a must have.

I agree with Clare, the winters can be colder than you think. During our first winter, we had snow near Albox !
It can be warm and sunny during the day, but by 6pm mid November to mid March it can be very cold and you will need some heating. That said, we had winter lunch time barbecues if the sun was out and there was no wind !

We did our homework and our builder installed cavity wall insulation ( not usual in Spain) .

Do not base your finances on a high sterling to euro exchange rate. Exchange rates fluctuate all the time.

Spain is no more perfect than the. UK or anywhere else. The warmer winter climate and a much lower council tax (IBI)
are two big advantages !  But rural Spain really is a " manana"  area !

My last piece of advice would be to learn some basic Spanish.  You will get more respect from the locals if you make the effort.

Good luck in your new life.

nibbler

Roger, I hope you don't decide to work for the tourist board.
Your  negative attitude does the  area no good.
Clare was able to give the advise asked for with a positive approach.
If I were you I'd stick to your council work.
Nibbler :tiphat:

hartcjhart

Quote from: Roger on October 27, 2016, 15:11:31 PM
I assume that you are planning to move to the Almanzora area.
You have not said whether you have an income to live on, or the ages of your children.
These are very important issues.
If you children are primary school age they will have time to adjust.
If they are of secondary school age you will probably be ruining their future.

WEATHER
This depends where in this area you live.
Arboleas is 250 metres above sea level, Albox just up the road is 450 metres, and further up the valley it is the height of Ben Nevis with snow every year. So the weather varies greatly, especially in the winter.
I used to live on the beach in Valencia, where a leather jacket was necessary for many months. Here I never use it, and the duvets never come out.
Depends where exactly you live.

But there a lot of things a lot more important.

RESIDENCE
No-one knows what will happen in April 2019. My guess is a hard Brexit with no free movement. However I guess that the Spanish Government will still want British immigrants for economic reasons. But no-one knows. Therefore it is important that you get residence before then. This means Town Hall Padron, Health Insurance, proof of financial viability, and quite a few hoops to jump through.

WORK
If you need to work you have to consider that it will be very difficult.
Hundreds of thousands of Spanish have moved to the UK because they cannot get work here!
On the positive side this corner of Spain is doing OK but only because if the tens of millions of euros brought here every year by British pensioners. This means that Spanish shops, bars, car dealers, hardware shops and Spanish builders are doing fairly well.
Some British who came some years ago and needed to work have survived, but many had to return to the UK. There is work for people who have set up legal business doing gardens, pool cleaning, small building, plumbing etc.
But this depends on the British having spare cash. With the fall in the pound, which is likely to continue indefinitely (unless there is a soft Brexit) there will be less money to spend.

Would I come out without a guaranteed income and young children?
Definitely NO.
Would I come out with a UK pension and a transferable health care.
Definitely YES.
Will I every go back to the UK?
Definitely NEVER.

Rog you are getting like Tets bringing brexit into everything

Tetley

Quote from: Monkee on October 27, 2016, 17:08:12 PM
Iceman,
Why are you saying it is 'racist' to have voted to leave the EU.    It has nothing to do with Race.  Except obviously to people like you.
And the value of the pound has nothing to do with Brexit,  it has not happened yet, it is the financial speculators that have caused this.
Pensioners, whether they live in the UK or in Spain, will always have to be careful how they spend.

No its to do with UK Crap   governments,not administering the medical,benifit and NI number allocation,system for EU  cits and allowing everybody and his dog in dropping labour rates and over welming uk public services,pxxxx 17.4 mill punters off,and the lady at the   Brexit helm now ,is the same barmy bxgger that helped cause the over population overload problem......May aka home sec !

now there all out of there depths with brexit meaning bullocks.... so they will stick the job through parliment to save the UK Union and there own out of depth Arses...... then the Police sprinter crews will be belting a few tree huggers,Anachists and folks with the genral UK ump for a few weeks,wile football starts again ie euro,s world cup run ups.

the uk is a laffin stock of the EU.... IE  best deal out of 28 member states,not in shengan,with border controlls and not in the EURO......  and they are walking/ running  away after the Brits & Comenwealth have European feilds full of men & boys that payed the price in 2 ww,s Saving Europe

the full jobs pxxx,xx

:fi_lone_ranger:

ps Ice man is correct,

the Brits are now seen as a bunch of un educated,brain washed anti Eu comunity red neck racists so dont expect any favours this end !

webejamin

Quote from: Monkee on October 27, 2016, 17:08:12 PM
Iceman,
Why are you saying it is 'racist' to have voted to leave the EU.    It has nothing to do with Race.  Except obviously to people like you.
And the value of the pound has nothing to do with Brexit,  it has not happened yet, it is the financial speculators that have caused this.
Pensioners, whether they live in the UK or in Spain, will always have to be careful how they spend.

:clap:

Monkee

Iceman,
Why are you saying it is 'racist' to have voted to leave the EU.    It has nothing to do with Race.  Except obviously to people like you.
And the value of the pound has nothing to do with Brexit,  it has not happened yet, it is the financial speculators that have caused this.

Queen Clare Shirley

Ive been here 28 years, Oh yeah their houses may be cold but they are all huddled round the brasero with their faldilla  tucked in around them, their warm fluffy housecoats and their warm franela sheets and most of my friends have upgraded to duvets here.

Our house is cold we do have a log burner but the bedroom is cold so I need my 15tog duvet to snuggle under, my girls have a heater on timer as I find it keeps them from getting cold and there have been times when going for a wee could result in frostbite round here.
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

Roger

I[ve been here over 20 years so I guess I am like the Spanish.
No heat in their houses in the winter because being cold is nice.

Queen Clare Shirley

Quote from: Roger on October 27, 2016, 15:11:31 PM
You have not said whether you have an income to live on, or the ages of your children.

WEATHER
Arboleas is 250 metres above sea level, Albox just up the road is 450 metres, and further up the valley it is the height of Ben Nevis with snow every year. So the weather varies greatly, especially in the winter.
I used to live on the beach in Valencia, where a leather jacket was necessary for many months. Here I never use it, and the duvets never come out.

RESIDENCE
No-one knows what will happen in April 2019. My guess is a hard Brexit with no free movement. However I guess that the Spanish Government will still want British immigrants for economic reasons. But no-one knows. Therefore it is important that you get residence before then. This means Town Hall Padron, Health Insurance, proof of financial viability, and quite a few hoops to jump through.

WORK
Hundreds of thousands of Spanish have moved to the UK because they cannot get work here!
On the positive side this corner of Spain is doing OK but only because if the tens of millions of euros brought here every year by British pensioners. This means that Spanish shops, bars, car dealers, hardware shops and Spanish builders are doing fairly well.
Some British who came some years ago and needed to work have survived, but many had to return to the UK. There is work for people who have set up legal business doing gardens, pool cleaning, small building, plumbing etc.
But this depends on the British having spare cash. With the fall in the pound, which is likely to continue indefinitely (unless there is a soft Brexit) there will be less money to spend.

Definitely NO.
Definitely YES.
Definitely NEVER.

Jeez Id freeze, I'm already considering the winter duvet and I've got my winter jammies out, mind you I'm called "la friolera" by my boss and her family. I've probably been here too long.

ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

Roger

WEATHER

RESIDENCE

WORK

Definitely NO.
Definitely YES.
Definitely NEVER.