roses

Started by shadeseeker, August 23, 2016, 18:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkerb

Hi Shade seeker pruning roses is very simple i assume you are referring to what most people call roses long prickly canes with lovely flowers on.
roses can be pruned all through the season to keep them in check however most people winter prune roses once the weather turns colder this is to 1 keep the plant within its growing area and 2 to reduce its height as roses can be prone to wind rock if the canes are to long the wind rocks them about making the roots loose and ultimately killing the plant.
you might also consider once pruned using mulch or compost around the base to stop weeds and keep the roots warm.
another consideration is black spot this is a spor which attacks the leaves as they begin to come out once you have it it is very difficult to get rid of it so spray early in the season then every 4 weeks.Finally roses are like pigs with prickles you must feed them every 4 weeks or so during the growing season but then stop late summer as you don't want new buds getting damaged by cold weather.
and never prune in late winter if you have not done it then wait hope this helps you and others Bulker B Head Gardener Ewelme Park

shadeseeker

Thankyou to both Jimel and Ginger.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

ginger

When deadheading I cut back strong new shoots to about half, always to outward pointing bud.  Then November I give a halfway prune (we are a windy area) and cut out any weak growth. You should still get flowers for Christmas. By Feb/March when most of the leaves have gone I cut out weak and crossing shoots to clear the centre then prune remainder to 6"-8", refirm the root ball as necessary and top dress.

Jimel

In Mojacar they prune them quite hard in March.

shadeseeker

Hi, can someone tell me when it is the best time to prune roses in Arboleas /Albox areas.
Thanks
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)