Dosbox with Windows 10

Started by Geoff_Wilkinson, August 11, 2016, 09:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_Wilkinson

RedEyes,

Thanks again; I now have it sorted. Either me or my machine got very confused with the virtual drive references.

On another subject - if you are at all interested in star gazing - tonight (11 Aug) is the night of the Pleides when, clouds permitting, you should see hundreds of shooting stars going across the sky.

Geoff 

RedEyes

Sorry about that.  Dosbox is something I had never heard of before now, hence my confusing answer.

Now I have heard of it, I went and had a look, as there is a DOS program that I would love to run (once I have got it transferred from the 3 1/2" floppies it currently resides on :)).

I downloaded Dosbox and installed it on a Win 10 machine.  Everything seemed fine, so I loaded up an old DOS game (Tetris) and it worked perfectly (although I think I would have to slow the clock down, if I really wanted to play the game!).

So, the answer to your original question is yes.

Geoff_Wilkinson

Thanks, but the basic command prompt you can get within Windows is already inside the MS Windows environment.

Dosbox is a unique program that can be loaded through Windows but, when it operates, it is outside the Windows environment.
It is pure DOS and can (or rather should) enable any Dos program to then be run in isolation. My problem is with Windows 10!

Geoff

RedEyes

If by "Dosbox", you mean the Command Prompt, this works fine for me.  You'll find it in the main menu under Windows System.

Whether or not your specific program will actually run, I have no idea.  You'll have to suck it and see.

Geoff_Wilkinson

Hi,

Has anyone managed to run the Dosbox program within Windows 10?

I have an old DOS astro program (SkyGlobe) from 1992 that I would like to keep using - it still works well in XP.

Geoff