Telephone in Arboleas

Started by pambates, February 19, 2016, 16:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: sandra on February 21, 2016, 15:54:17 PM
Juan set us up with a telephone through Netlip. We have a UK number  - cost 27 or 29 euros per annum ( can't remember the exact amount) There is the facility to pay for 3 or 6 months  if you prefer. I deposited 30 euros for calls over three months ago and am still 22 euros in credit. I find it a good service and my family can call me cheaply or for free depending on their contract.

Good. With a Movistar landline I suspect that you'd pay nearly 30€/month for similar facilities.

And the quality of calls now with VOIP is as good as, if not better, than with a landline.

sandra

Juan set us up with a telephone through Netlip. We have a UK number  - cost 27 or 29 euros per annum ( can't remember the exact amount) There is the facility to pay for 3 or 6 months  if you prefer. I deposited 30 euros for calls over three months ago and am still 22 euros in credit. I find it a good service and my family can call me cheaply or for free depending on their contract.

guest4538

Quote from: Chisme on February 20, 2016, 11:19:06 AM
Quote from: geoffp34 on February 20, 2016, 10:40:44 AM
When you are arranging your internet connection at the Town Hall, talk to Juan and/or Paul, who install it for you, and they will sort out your telephone connection. Cheap and reliable.
Juan always promised that the Town Hall would be providing a VOIP telephone service at competitive rates: is it now generally available?
If so, perhaps Roger or Juan could publish the Town Hall telephone charges?

It seems the Town Hall is not providing its own telephone service for now, but Juan might supply an adapter (as described by Tetley), configured with either a UK number using Sipgate or a Spanish number (presumably) using Netelip.

This would make life easier for most residents who, understandably, simply want a service without getting bogged down with the technology (an inevitable consequence of the DIY route).

guest4538

Quote from: geoffp34 on February 20, 2016, 10:40:44 AM
When you are arranging your internet connection at the Town Hall, talk to Juan and/or Paul, who install it for you, and they will sort out your telephone connection. Cheap and reliable.

Juan always promised that the Town Hall would be providing a VOIP telephone service at competitive rates: is it now generally available?

If so, perhaps Roger or Juan could publish the Town Hall telephone charges?

pambates

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice. It's been really helpful. Thanks

geoffp34

guest4538

Quote from: Tetley on February 19, 2016, 19:23:31 PM
Quote from: pambates on February 19, 2016, 16:38:28 PM
We are moving to Arboleas next month, and hoping to use the Arboleas WiFi.
Can anyone tell me what company/service they use for the telephone?
I've heard there is something called VOIP that connects to your WiFi.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

you can get a phone box from can connect albox,that works like a landline phone with a uk number,its a 1 off payment for the box of approx 70e then you just top your phone credit up( sipgte ),its as cheap as chips to use,no rentals no fees,
:tiphat:

If you feel like personally configuring the adapter box, which Tetley describes, then you can now get one for only £13.39 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Sale-Unlocked-2-Ports-Linksys-PAP2T-NA-SIP-VOIP-Phone-UK-Plug-Adapter-AI1G-/151370152005?hash=item233e5d3845:g:5t0AAOSwQItT2jbQ.

Instructions for configuring the adapter can be found on the Sipgate website - https://www.sipgate.co.uk/basic/. You can sign up with Sipgate from the UK (or from Spain, as long as you go through a VPN) to get a free UK geographical telephone number for whatever location you want in the UK. And Sipgate's telephone rates are reasonable (cheaper than Skype-out).

You simply plug a standard phone into the adapter. The adapter plugs into your (Arboleas Town Hall Internet) router.

A second phone can be plugged into this adapter if, for instance, you'd also like a Spanish number or you'd prefer to use cheaper companies to make outgoing calls, or both. Unfortunately I know of no source for free Spanish numbers, but https://www.buyddinumber.com/phone-number-coverage/DID_numbers_in_Spain.html gives you a 0034 950 ... ... number for 1.99€/month.

Outgoing calls using DialCheap have the lowest rates I've seen for calls to both geographical and mobile numbers in UK and Spain: https://www.dialcheap.com/rates/calling-rates.

An alternative to an adapter and 2 separate phones, is http://www.amazon.es/Siemens-A510-IP-inal%C3%A1mbrico-importado/dp/B0078NMPAA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455925618&sr=8-2&keywords=gigaset+voip. This enables you to manage up to 6 Voip accounts on the one phone. It plugs directly into your router without an adapter - it is by far the best solution.

You do, however, need to take care on your choice of router. Getting technical: avoid routers which incorporate SIP ALG, without the facility to disable it. This router works perfectly for running VOIP (with the Arboleas Town Hall internet) - http://www.amazon.es/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-inal%C3%A1mbrico-garant%C3%ADa-4-Ethernet/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455926311&sr=8-1&keywords=router+tp+link.

Tetley

We use skpe,voip on the computer,but the sipgate box gives a normal phone without the computer tuned on ie  same as a land line.

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Toffee Girl

Why don't you use Skype and buy credit for calls .

Tetley

Quote from: pambates on February 19, 2016, 16:38:28 PM
Thanks

you can get a phone box from can connect albox,that works like a landline phone with a uk number,its a 1 off payment for the box of approx 70e then you just top your phone credit up( sipgte ),its as cheap as chips to use,no rentals no fees,

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Trebmal

You can use watzap (app) via wifi.

pambates

Thanks