Computer boot problem

Started by Talldude, January 11, 2016, 13:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieSse

Is it beeping at you - if it is, what is the pattern of the beeps?

You often need to clean the contacts of memory sticks if you take them out - and replacing them requires a fair amount of force. You can clean the contacts carefully with a rubber, or try alcohol (not the drinking kind  :biggrin: )

remeber to always switch off or unplug the mains before changing things inside the computer. Just powering down normally does not switch off all power inside the machine.

Talldude

Thanks for your reply - tried the memory modules  and there was no change in the symptoms. Unplugged the hard drive to try and boot from the Windows DVD and it never even got to the options screen to go into setup.  Then I re-attached hard drive and now I don´t even get the Asus start screen - simply says no signal - so I think the motherboard has died?   

DieSse

The standard method for troubleshooting this kind of issue is by substitution stating with the memory.

If there are two memory modules, take each one out in turn and try rebooting.

Disconnect the hard drive and try to boot from a DVD.

Look at the motherboard to see if there are any "blown" (ie bulging tops) capacitors

Take out as many plug-in boards as feasible - if there's a plug-in graphics card AND on-board graphics, take out the card and try with the on-board.

Other potential issues are the Processor and the power supply.

Much less likely - monitor issue - keyboard and/or mouse issue.

DO NOT MOVE OR DISCONNECT ANY INTERNAL ITEMS WITHOUT SWITCHING OFF THE MAINS INPUT OR UNPLUGGING THE POWER CORD.

Talldude

When I switch the computer on, it shows the initial Asus screen, with the options to enter setup etc., then it briefly goes into the post screen before "no signal" comes up on the monitor and I get a permanently on hard drive light.   Have tried booting from the windows 7 CD but the same thing happens, so can´t even get it  running that way. Any suggestions? Is it a motherboard problem, memory issue or something to do with the hard drive