malware

Started by ligera, December 16, 2015, 17:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ligera

It may have been a free upgrade.At any rate it has been perfectly ok up to recently so I dont think that is the problem.

DieSse

Took it for clean up when it got a virus 3 yrs ago and they upgraded it to W 7

In they case you should have the activation code that came with the copy of Win 7 that was sold to you. If you never got the code, then you probably do have a non-genuine copy of Win 7.

ligera

Hi I got it with VISTA  took ages for me to convert it from VISTA in spanish to english.Had back up for system. Took it for clean up when it got a virus 3 yrs ago and they upgraded it to W 7. Took a system recovery disk back up on disks dont know how to use it sorry .Reason I didn't d
do a full system back up I didnt have enough space on disks and sticks, got fed up of the whole thing and went out doing other more exciting things.Also have another PC. Can copy my files to sticks don't care then about deleting them on laptop, in fact would like to erase them and start again.

DieSse

"which it is as it was vista pre-installed on it, which was later upgraded to windows 7" - Was the upgrade a genuine version - do you still have the activation code for it and the DVD?

If you do a system restore back to the factory settings - you will get Vista back again, and possibly lose all your work and additional software.

You say you,ve tried everthing, but here are a few extra suggestions to try - ADWCleaner (get this from the toolslib site) - Eset on-line scan (get this from the Eset site) - Superantispyware (get this from the superantispyware site.

You can also try a Windows 7 repair, which needs your original Windows 7 DVD.

You could also try the standard system restore to set the system back to an earlier date when it was working.

You should have (but presumably don't as you would have already used it), as you first line of defence, a full system image on an external hard drive. This is a complete backup of your whole syste (operating system, all software, settings and you personal data. This enables you to totally rebuild your drive to exactly how it was (at the time you took the image and was working). This needs to be done at least once a month for safety.

ADVANCE Digital

The damage to the operating system maybe to extensive. A reformat will cure it, and make the laptop as new.

If there is still an infection you need to know what it is to remove it, as you have scanned it well already.

You could try system restore first though and see if it recovers the functionality and the product key (genuine) issue.

ligera

Sounds a bit drastic.Is there no software to remove it?

ADVANCE Digital

The google message is correct. You may need you laptop reformatted to correct the remaining problem though.

ligera

One of our laptops looks like it has a virus,it now tells me the copy of windows is not genuine, which it is as it was vista preinstalled on it, which was later upgraded to windows 7.
It wont let me uninstall a google toolbar extension and some other things, saying the installer is not installed properly.
Won't accept the microsoft malware removal tool as it says its not the right one for the system.
All scans, ie avast, malwarebytes and microsoft scanner say no virus found.Any suggestions?
Ps is the google message which says Google privacy agreement, in order to comply with data protection please take some time to review the policy, is this a genuine google thing?