David Bowie - New Single - Blackstar

Started by Cruzcampo, November 25, 2015, 18:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzcampo

Two hours in the company of Mr Bowie from May 1979

It was "a bit grey" outside on May 20, 1979, or so says a peak-era David Bowie as he was handed the controls of BBC Radio One.

With that, Bowie provides a 2 hour BBC mix featuring some of his favourite tracks of the time. It is a solid combination of well known classics and under-appreciated gems, each introduced by the seminal tastemaker himself. Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Blondie, Roxy Music, even Bruce Springsteen, all feature, alongside more obscure fair like ? & The Mysterians and The Mekons.

With a quick closing of the eyes and a trip to a pre-Internet world, the set takes on some long lost nostalgia for those yearning for the days when DJs and Artists bypassed the Twitter and Tumblr's of the worl to bring audiences the latest, greatest, and rarest of cuts...

Tracklist
The Doors, "Love Street"
Iggy Pop, "TV Eye"
John Lennon, "Remember"
? & The Mysterians, "96 Tears"
Edward Elgar, "The Nursery Suite" (extract)
Danny Kaye, "Inchworm"
Philip Glass, "Trial Prison"
The Velvet Underground, "Sweet Jane"
Mars, "Helen Fordsdale"
Little Richard, "He's My Star"
King Crimson, "21st Century Schizoid Man"
Talking Heads, "Warning Sign"
Jeff Beck, "Beck's Bolero"
Ronnie Spector, "Try Some, Buy Some"
Marc Bolan, "20th Century Boy"
The Mekons, "Where Were You?"
Steve Forbert, "Big City Cat"
The Rolling Stones, "We Love You"
Roxy Music, "2HB"
Bruce Springsteen, "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City"
Stevie Wonder, "Fingertips"
Blondie, "Rip Her To Shreds"
Bob Seger, "Beautiful Loser"
David Bowie, "Boys Keep Swinging"
David Bowie, "Yassassin"
Talking Heads, "Book I Read"
Roxy Music, "For Your Pleasure"
King Curtis, "Something On Your Mind"
The Staple Singers, "Lies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATSTjjEMmuk

Cruzcampo

crawdaddy

I bet they were great memories Tetley.
The Spiders era was the best for Bowie, in my opinion.
Great times when I was a youngster as well.    :drinks:

Cruzcampo

Aye,Trevor Bolder with his terrific sideburns.One of Hull's finest along with the other spiders Mick Ronson and Woody Woodmansey.All that practising paid off as he landed the gig of a lifetime.Mick Ronson passed far too young as well.
Woody is still out there touring though.

The first time i listened to this single i thought WTF,definitely a grower.

guitarman

Very interesting piece from Bowie, I remember, as a young man, playing Ziggy Stardust album over and over on my record player, loved that. I think this new one will take some more listening before I decide what I think about it.

Tetley

Quote from: Cruzcampo on November 25, 2015, 18:03:33 PM

Must have watched this a dozen times now,amazing piece of work from an amazing artist.Looking forward to the new album out on his 69th birthday.

https://youtu.be/kszLwBaC4Sw

:notopic:

Mi Mams best freind was Trevor Bolders Mam ie Bowies Spiders Bass and in the 70,s,I used to go round,when Trevor would be up stairs practising .... the house used to Vibrate with the Bass Amp,His Mam Val would be talking to mi Mar,jump up,and Shout upstairs...

"Our Trevor,turn that bloody amp down,im talking to Christine".....happy days ,now sadly Trevor,His Mam and Younger Brother have passed.

Great Times   :)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Cruzcampo

Must have watched this a dozen times now,amazing piece of work from an amazing artist.Looking forward to the new album out on his 69th birthday.

https://youtu.be/kszLwBaC4Sw