Accessing public healthcare in Andalucia

Started by Maura, November 09, 2015, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Torrecillas

The authorities have been known to accept the EHIC card. 
Cutting through your red-tape....

seashells

We are in a catch 22 regarding residency and healthcare, and need help. We have owned ( mortgaged ) a property for the last 5 years, always paid on time and also paid off 2 loans via the bank. We have D/D set up for all usual bills ( Galasa, Endesa, rates and have also been paying a non residence tax for the last 5 years ) In June we arrived here to live hopefully full time, signed on to the Padron, got our NIE numbers. We want to apply for full residency but there's the problem, I am 63 and my wife 62. We believe to get full residency we have to show that we are financially OK and that we have health cover in place and that's where we are having trouble. Financially it is OK but the healthcare, well, we are not retirement age, we have not had the padron for 12 months, and we cannot afford a private health plan. Can anyone help with ideas or information as to what we can do. thanks

Carmen Torrecillas

You should go to the INSS Social Security office to validate and register your S1 papers and apply for an Andalucian Health card.  Take your passports, S1 papers, green residency certificates and a padron certificate from your town hall, along with photocopies of everything.  I suggest you do this asap while your S1 papers are still valid and before the rules change......(because you never know!)

Angieh

We do, but only valid  until June next year.

Carmen Torrecillas

Angieh

Yes, we had to take out private health care last year to get our " green card". Are we now able to pay into the monthly scheme? Also hubby is 65 next year ( I am not quite there yet) am I able to be a dependent of his or do I need to contribute separately until I reach 65?

Carmen Torrecillas

This information is very clear and useful.  Thank you.
One of the problems British people have is that if they don't already have the green "residency" paper they can't get it because one of the prerequisites is proof of health cover.  This is where on of the the "vicious circles" begins.

Maura