Bad Language on UK TV

Started by felipe, October 27, 2015, 08:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webejamin

Yeabut today I think they try to show life as they see it, but they probably don't see it as it really is. Good job really, coz yes there's swearing in programs, but it's nothing like in real life, on a bus, on a train, in school, everywhere. It never used to be like it, so the telly is only reflecting life today, albeit mildly. Swearing in some communities is normal and there's nothing we can do about it. I don't like it, but these days I expect it, and when I hear it on the box it's just like normal. Even some of the sex scenes on the telly make me squirm when the grandkids are seeing it, but they aint batting an eyelid.
;D Makes me laugh when some women I know that can't speak English and every other word is F or bas~'@#d  :o
We aint gonna change it people :tiphat:

Tetley

Quote from: sleepy john on October 28, 2015, 17:59:57 PM
It's not just the unnecessary swearing that's bad, but the level of violence in programmes such as Emmerdale Farm and Coronation Street. Admittedly there is no bad language but these are shown when children are watching and portray, murder, rape and torture as being normal activities.

The problem is... the UK  is East enders,corri,emerdale,Towie,with a bit of Alan suger thrown in.

i watch most of my programes on youtube apart from downetown abbey,even the news is down the Pan you can watch 4 diffrent news channels and get 4 diffrent angles.
reminds me of a fitter i worked with as an apprentice,he wouldent buy a newspaper or watch the news as he said nothing he could do,apart from vote would change anything so why bother reading abought it.

as for swearning on the box......is there any need.. no

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Lynne

I just despair about the lack of morals.  I would hate to be young again.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

sleepy john

It's not just the unnecessary swearing that's bad, but the level of violence in programmes such as Emmerdale Farm and Coronation Street. Admittedly there is no bad language but these are shown when children are watching and portray, murder, rape and torture as being normal activities.

webejamin

Yeabut, these days the people running things have to be correct in what they show, and include all types when showing different people doing different things. :o There has to be blacks, browns pinks and blues, gays, letsbefriends, ting tongs and every other kind of normal things. Smoking aint allowed, but swearing is. The only thing they can't show is people that aint normal, like us :o going about not swearing :o straight sexed :-[ you know, doing odd things like living quiet lives and being abnormal generally :o   

hartcjhart

Quote from: felipe on October 27, 2015, 08:38:01 AM
Am I being a bit of a prude getting too old?

I swear at the best of times but what I do not like is hearing the F word continually used in what are good UK TV dramas. We downloaded and watched the current serial Unforgotten which is on ITV. An excellent production with some top actors starring in it. Yet in each episode the writers found the need to have the characters use the F word when there was absolutely no reason for them to use it. Why?

We watch between 10 and 15 USA programs a week, ranging from NCIS to the new Quantico, from Marvels Agents of Shield to The Good Wife and Madam Secretary. All excellent programs yet not one has ever used the F word. Why do the UK scriptwriters feel the need to have bad language included in their scripts. It serves no purpose other than show that they cannot think of another way to portray the message they are wanting to get across.

Thoughts????
WHY
because during the 60's/70's the Liberalati wanted more and more freedom for everything, drugs sex etc,then during the 80s/90,s onwards the tv producer had to ,dumb, down because of the falling levels of education(comprehensive schools).
why oh why did we mock/and not listen to 2 very clever people,
1 Enoch powell (for the other thread)
and
2 Mary Whitehouse for this thread

webejamin

It'a a cuwcha fing innit, we isn't like dem old days,
we's wicked innit, really bad, really sad,
we's winnin da revolushun an I wanna tell you son,
be cool an spin it coz you's aint gonna winit mon.
boom boom bacha boom boom, innit.

Be cool bro O0 skool innit O0  :tiphat:

webejamin, Poet Laureate 2050 AD. 

telcaz

In 1979 I worked for a company based in Greenwich although I worked out of a branch they had opened up in Derby, but by 1986 it was deemed no longer viable so the Derby branch was closed, but, I was offered a job at Greenwich which I took and commuted on a weekly basis, shortly after moving there and enjoying the company of some of the local lads it soon became clear there was no respect for women in their company and on one occasion I mentioned it to one of the men, who just laughed at me and said "Terry, this is London, and she can use it just as much as any of us", so, does that make it right?.
                  Terry

alaskan

Also to the TV debate, why do they have to use it in music too, I have loads of cd,s with strong language advisories all over the front, I have children who love certain artists but
they can't listen too them now because of all the s and f words in them. Surely they can do it without swearing every other word.
a.davis

turner

I do agree that swearing isn't too good to hear although sadly it's now "the norm", however I do think that Bruno can be forgiven for his Saturday night "slip", he was soooo excited, in fact I found it funny and you did have to be listening closely to spot it.

Jo-JoB

My dad was pretty strict, as a kid I was never allowed to swear, even in my late teens and twenties, if he heard me swear within earshot of a woman, he would give me an ear bashing.

It used to be called Respect, Kids demand it now, even though they really don't know what it means.

zilnor

The Kray's twins, who happily murdered a few fellow criminals in the East end, insisted that their gang members should never use bad language e n front of women. If the "f" word( or worse) was used in a lady's hearing they were given a beating.

webejamin

Don't seem to work that way Phil, it's not from the telly they learn it, it's in school, it's on the street and much of the time it's in the home. You gotta remember, it's not a traditional "English" home we're talking here, many don't even speak English, but can F and blind better than most. There's a completely different language out there and I have trouble with it myself. My Grandkids speak better English than I do when in "English" company, but seem to revert to a different kind of accent and way of speaking in the company of ethnic kids. I asked Ben, my Grandson who those boys were he plays football with, he said "they ma niggas" :o it just means "they're my friends" it's what they say to each other, it's street talk and he doesn't live in the East end.
I think most people have given up any hope these days Phil, the change is upon us and there aint no stopping it, even the Eastern European kids talk like it. :o :tiphat:

It's stopped effin rainin so I'm effin off to the effin lake ;D oun       

felipe

Thing is Webbie is that there is no reason for the TV companies to allow it in their programs. It is the same old story, if youngsters hear it on TV then they will think it OK to use in schools and in then later on in the workplace.

I know the world has changed but there should still be morals and respect shown by everyone. If they disappear then there is no hope for humanity.

webejamin

I'm afraid you only have to be in the East End to hear all the "effin an blindin" it's how people talk these days. Years ago you'da got a slap for swearing in public, but with the influx of non English speaking, or pigeon English speakers, as they settled at work they learned basic local lingo. They didn't slap their kids for swearing, coz they didn't know it was swearing. Get on the bus or train and just listen, it's the lingo of London. My Grandkids are just as bad, it's in the schools. Whenever we have a family get together it's all "F this" "F that" from the youngsters :o I always get at em, but it's how they've evolved unfortunately and there aint no turnin back :crazy:

Well I'm effin off and goin effin fishin over the effin lake if it don't effin rain :o oops sorry :-[      

sleepy john

I agree with Phillip. I have used industrial language with work mates, but I wouldn't go into someone elses house and start mouthing off, so why do telly programmes have to do it.
The good lady was watching the dancing show on the telly and - correct me if I'm wrong because I wasn't paying too much attention - but I'm sure one the judges said two expletives in the same sentence. If this is true then he should be sacked.

felipe

Am I being a bit of a prude getting too old?

I swear at the best of times but what I do not like is hearing the F word continually used in what are good UK TV dramas. We downloaded and watched the current serial Unforgotten which is on ITV. An excellent production with some top actors starring in it. Yet in each episode the writers found the need to have the characters use the F word when there was absolutely no reason for them to use it. Why?

We watch between 10 and 15 USA programs a week, ranging from NCIS to the new Quantico, from Marvels Agents of Shield to The Good Wife and Madam Secretary. All excellent programs yet not one has ever used the F word. Why do the UK scriptwriters feel the need to have bad language included in their scripts. It serves no purpose other than show that they cannot think of another way to portray the message they are wanting to get across.

Thoughts????