Well Done Mi lards !

Started by Tetley, October 26, 2015, 22:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

"Another aspect to the higher minimum wage ( £9  an hour I believe)  is that many small businesses like pubs, cafés, shops will have to increase their prices to cover the cost, or reduce their staff.  The supermarkets will use it as an excuse to raise prices".

Yes, Liz, a win, win for the Government - higher wages = higher income tax revenue, higher prices = higher VAT contributions.  They're not so daft after all......

Jollyboy

It's interesting that the word Constitution keeps appearing in this debate. I admit to being relatively ignorant in this area but the Americans have a written constitution which every one can read to know their basic rights and then the application of those rights is further refined by legal cases and rulings.

In the UK the last I heard on this discussion was that our Constitution consists of rights established via hundred of years of legal rulings but there does not appear to be the basic definitive list of Constitutional rights. I seem to remember talk of a UK Bill of Rights a few years ago. Anyone know if that happened.

In any case, for Osborne and Cameron to state that what the Lords did was unconstitutional would appear to be baseless unless there is a legal precedent to support their claim and it would appear there is not.

sleepy john

Quite right BB. It appears that Cameron is acting beyond his authority. It is the job of politicians to make political judgements, not constitutional ones. Let the monarchy decide constitutional issues and remind self important MPs who the head of state is.

BassBunny

I always thought that is what the Lords were for to keep, (and I use this word with extreme caution), the Government HONEST. In this case they have done their job as Camroon & Co lied to get voted in.
I also thought that the Lords was supposed to be composed of ex Captains of Industry and the like, the ones that had a wise head on their shoulders and could "guide" a government.
When it is full of ex-politicians, owners of football clubs, composers, owners of Lingerie companies etc. it seems to have lost it's way.

Then I spotted this motion that has gone in front of the House Of Commons.
"That this House believes that the prime duty of the Head of State is to intervene when Prime Ministers act in their own interests contrary to the interests of the country; and further believes that appointing an excessive number of peers to gain a political advantage would be an abuse that should be blocked by the monarch."

Someone actually may have woken up.

zilnor

Another aspect to the higher minimum wage ( £9  an hour I believe)  is that many small businesses like pubs, cafés, shops will have to increase their prices to cover the cost, or reduce their staff.  The supermarkets will use it as an excuse to raise prices. How many of the consumers will be happy about that ? People moan here about having to pay £2.20 or more for a small coffee. As Tetley says, it could make for interesting times  :wave

webejamin

Quote from: Jollyboy on October 29, 2015, 08:44:47 AM
The idea of a high wage low tax economy is appealing but the argument the Tories are using is transparently dishonest. If the cuts were conditional on the government delivering the higher wages and tax thresholds to compensate then perhaps the proposals would not be so controversial, but of course they know in reality it will never happen.

The other side of low tax economies is that it sounds fine until the lack of central revenue begins to make itself felt in the cost of private services such as health insurance and care services. Fine if everyone is on a high wage that makes these charges affordable but in reality it just favours the top few percent.
In a nutshell Jollyboy :clap:

Jollyboy

The idea of a high wage low tax economy is appealing but the argument the Tories are using is transparently dishonest. If the cuts were conditional on the government delivering the higher wages and tax thresholds to compensate then perhaps the proposals would not be so controversial, but of course they know in reality it will never happen.

The other side of low tax economies is that it sounds fine until the lack of central revenue begins to make itself felt in the cost of private services such as health insurance and care services. Fine if everyone is on a high wage that makes these charges affordable but in reality it just favours the top few percent.

byrney

What's a Tax Credit?  :whistle:

Back in the day I used to have to pay Tax to the Government not take Tax from it.  How times change.

sleepy john

I had high regard for George Osborne, but after I saw him throwing his toys out the pram because he can't get his own way, I have changed my opinion. He has proved he is another spoiled pr****t.

webejamin

Strang innit!!!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tax-credits-some-of-britains-most-prominent-millionaires-among-peers-supporting-cuts-in-house-of-a6711591.html

;D I like that, Lord Fink :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: finks the poor should be poorer >:( Lord Anus more like >:(

Tetley

Fing is.... it was Camron & Osbournse poll tax and they aint got the ball to fight the streets and they didnt want it de stabalizing there EU IN ,so a words been had with mi Lords / Elite to smoke screen & mirrows it.

:whistle:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

jabba the cat

Its a monthly benefit on top of their wages if they went after the big companies to pay better wages it would have been sorted out but that's common sense and only
us lower down the ladder seem possess it.

£6300 on average costing £30 odd billion a year someone needs to get a grip. :tiphat:

nibbler

Just a load of dozy old farts, that are trying to justify their existence. I'm surprized they managed to stay awake long enough to vote.
Nibbler :tiphat:

jabba the cat

Offer a person £10 pounds and he will say yes please offer him £20 pounds yes please but then decide to take £10 back uproar. Gordon Brown another well planted political land mine. :tiphat:

MELEE

Yes brilliant now the multi rich bloody Tories have time to look at cutting their own incomes to raise cash
or why not STOP all overseas aid - more than enough to meet the defecit

webejamin

Yep Tetley, love it, might even change me mind about the Lords :o Mind you this event could be the start of the revolution :clap: Off with their heads :o

Tetley

So Citizens
Ossie Osbournes tax credit scam get kicked out,in the Lards and cause a constipational  crisis .....luv it !

( bit of a smoke & mirrows  tho folks ,as this would have finished the Euro happy camp and made the Euro IN vote DEAD ! befor it starts )

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol