SKY TV

Started by flimflam, October 26, 2015, 20:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flimflam

It seems that the only way I'm going to get through this is to pay for a VPN IP address in the U.S. - as the article said - you can still use
U.S. VPN addresses.

guest4538

Quote from: Elgin on November 26, 2015, 08:33:39 AM
Flimflam  We have a full Sky+ HD system (except Sky Sports).  This is connected to the internet by ethernet cable to an addition DD-WRT encoded router that connects via our normal internet router to a VPN server in the UK.  This gives us full access to all catch-up TV channels (inc BBC) and the full Sky On Demand service (including loads of movies and all box sets). 

Although the VPN server is in the UK the service is provided by a US company Strong VPN (or Reliable Hosting).  You will need an Open VPN package that costs about $85 p.a.  A DD-WRT pre-encoded router might cost you $100 - $200 depending on features etc.  You can buy some off the shelf routers and burn DDWRT code on it if you are confident as to what you are doing but it invalidates all warranties.  To find compatible routers and obtain code and instructions go to DD-WRT.com.. You can buy encoded routers from Strong VPN or Flashrouters.com.

Getting the right settings for best download speeds can be a bit tricky but Strong VPN provide an excellent Chat Service that can take you through it all - just tell them what you need.  Using the VPN  service will slow down your download speeds.  My normal download speed is about 18 MBits/s where as with the VPN I get about 9 Mbits/s.  However, for upload speeds the opposite applies.  The VPN systems avoids my local ISP upload throttle so my upload speed rises from 1 MBit/s to anything up to 8Mbits/s!

Of course with the extra router in the house using a UK IP address you can also watch BBC Iplayer or ITV player etc on your tablet, phone, PC or laptop if you want.

Enjoy it while you can - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-10/20/bbc-iplayer-vpn-access! My VPN has already been blocked...

Elgin

Quote from: Malcolm on November 26, 2015, 08:48:04 AM
Why don't you have the proper dish, switch on the tv and watch with a perfect picture. No techno gobbledygook and no headache. Simple.

I do have a 1.9m dish but the router and VPN gives me access all the extras that I am paying for but could normally only use in the UK.

Malcolm

Why don't you have the proper dish, switch on the tv and watch with a perfect picture. No techno gobbledygook and no headache. Simple.

Elgin

Flimflam  We have a full Sky+ HD system (except Sky Sports).  This is connected to the internet by ethernet cable to an addition DD-WRT encoded router that connects via our normal internet router to a VPN server in the UK.  This gives us full access to all catch-up TV channels (inc BBC) and the full Sky On Demand service (including loads of movies and all box sets). 

Although the VPN server is in the UK the service is provided by a US company Strong VPN (or Reliable Hosting).  You will need an Open VPN package that costs about $85 p.a.  A DD-WRT pre-encoded router might cost you $100 - $200 depending on features etc.  You can buy some off the shelf routers and burn DDWRT code on it if you are confident as to what you are doing but it invalidates all warranties.  To find compatible routers and obtain code and instructions go to DD-WRT.com.. You can buy encoded routers from Strong VPN or Flashrouters.com.

Getting the right settings for best download speeds can be a bit tricky but Strong VPN provide an excellent Chat Service that can take you through it all - just tell them what you need.  Using the VPN  service will slow down your download speeds.  My normal download speed is about 18 MBits/s where as with the VPN I get about 9 Mbits/s.  However, for upload speeds the opposite applies.  The VPN systems avoids my local ISP upload throttle so my upload speed rises from 1 MBit/s to anything up to 8Mbits/s!

Of course with the extra router in the house using a UK IP address you can also watch BBC Iplayer or ITV player etc on your tablet, phone, PC or laptop if you want.

olive25

flimflam

I have a Sky package in the UK - but spend most of my time out in Spain.  I have managed to get my HD box
logged in to my internet - but of course that's in Spain.  Have been thinking of paying for a UK ISP address -
would this then allow me to access BBC iPLAYER ETC.???