Android box? Trouble at mill.

Started by Ammonite, October 23, 2015, 19:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Thanks Elgin.  Much as I thought then.  It is NOT legal to view TV in Spain using a Sky Card registered in the UK - even if it is only due to Breach of Contract, which, of course, is illegal.

Tetley

So to sumerize..... ;D

wi carnt watch telly
wi carnt use our brit plate motors
wi carnt have our full bacon sausage full English
wi carnt shxt in our pothos
and if yer catch the new Zurgeana bus..............the X ing thing  bring yer back again  !  ;)

luv it.... :lol:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Elgin

Quote from: byrney on October 26, 2015, 21:36:55 PM
Excellent news Elgin.  Thanks for the advice.  Just a quick question though for when a test case finally goes to Court, where is the legal basis for this?

The only possible area over which there might be a test case is regarding watching BBC without a UK TV licence but UK law in this respect is not enforceable outside the UK.  In Spain it is perfectly legal to pick up available TV signals and watch TV.  There is no TV licence type law in Spain.   However, re-broadcasting represents a breach of copyright (unlawful) and is prohibited by law (illegal) in many countries including Spain.  There have been arrests and prosecutions in Spain for illegal rebroadcasting.

I suppose in theory Sky could take us to court for being in breach of contract (the contract specifies that you can only receive their services at "you address" and "your address" is defined as "the address of your home in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland") but I would suggest it would be impossible for them to show that they had incurred any loss or harm so wouldn't win anything other than the right to cut us off (and could find they have to return some of the subscriptions paid to them). 

gingernut

Can you imagine how much money sky would lose if they were to disconnect all the ex pats and all the bars in Spain,Portugal,Cyprus and so,on.

byrney

Excellent news Elgin.  Thanks for the advice.  Just a quick question though for when a test case finally goes to Court, where is the legal basis for this?

Elgin

It is not ILLEGAL to use a Sky box here (may be a question about the small dish systems that hack into coded/encryted signals).  However, Sky are not allowed to sell their service in Spain so it is UNLAWFUL for them to sign up customers based in Spain.  For this reason if they find out you are in Spain they may cut you off.  Similarly it is not ILLEGAL to watch UK TV over the internet.  However, there are some businesses that are re-broadcasting UK TV programmes which is bot ILLEGAL and UNLAWFUL.

phileas fogg

GOT CAUGHT.

Sellers of Android boxes loaded with software enabling the free viewing of movies, TV shows and live sports have been raided this week by UK authorities. Trading Standards officers, police and representatives from Sky TV carried out raids in several locations, causing other sellers to quickly reconsider the tone of their marketing efforts.

kodiWhile paying subscriptions to services such as Netflix, premium satellite and cable channels, sports broadcasters and PPV outlets are legitimate ways to obtain content on a TV, there are others that require very little outlay.

Apple TV boxes, Android set-top boxes and even the lowly Raspberry PI can run software such as Kodi (previously XBMC) alongside third-party addons to provide all of the above at virtually zero cost. Unsurprisingly, this annoys content providers no end.

While selling any of the above devices alone is entirely legal, over the past couple of years online markets such as eBay and Amazon have been flooded with "fully loaded" boxes (Android-based in particular) that enable free viewing of anything from first run movies to live sports.

Surprisingly, many vendors have been happy to publicly advertise that fact, with many apparently under the impression that if they don't provide the illegal content themselves then they aren't liable. In the UK that argument is unlikely to fly and during the past week patience appears to have run out.

Earlier this week Trading Standards officers and police carried out raids on sellers of Android boxes setup to receive unauthorized content. One seller, operating from GeekyKit.com, told customers that his physical shops would not be trading as normal.

"As you may be aware we were visited yesterday by Sky [television] in conjunction with Trading Standards. Whilst we continue to investigate our position the stores will remain closed and support will remain suspended. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused," he explained.

"We do not control the content that is accessible on the internet via the product that we sell. We are currently working with Trading Standards to ensure that we can sell our products whilst adhering to UK copyright laws."

Although no details on changes were provided by GeekyKit, the signs on the front of one of their shops will be the first thing to go after leaving little to the imagination.

RedEyes

Quote from: felipe on October 24, 2015, 09:10:55 AM
Using an android box is as illegal as using a SKY box. Same pictures different way of viewing them.

Sorry, but they're really not the same thing at all.  If you are paying Sky, then all you are doing is flouting the rights issues, they are still getting paid for the service they provide. 

Quote from: felipe on October 24, 2015, 09:10:55 AMI have downloaded loads of the SKY box sets from various sources. Even recent ITV and BBC programs like New Tricks and Lewis (watching episode three tonight) are available the day after they have been broadcast. All in HD too.

Now, that's really stealing intellectual copyright.

RedEyes

Quote from: Ammonite on October 23, 2015, 20:25:41 PM
Actually, Sherbert, I do have a Sky account, although registered in the Uk, so I'm not stealing, so let's get that sorted out first.

But you are operating ouside of the T&C's of the Sky contract (this a rights issue).  That said, a lot of people do this and Sky are happy to let them get away with it, as long as they never know "officially" that is what you are doing. It's actually worth a significant slice of their income.  Don't forget, it's not just Spain, there are UK ex-pats all over Europe who want to see UK programmes.

Since you already have a Sky box (and presumably, a card) then the most reliable option (and closest to legal, inasmuch as you're never likely to get cut off) is to buy a dish (1.9 m around here). 

billandjess

Dear Jan and Ed.  Sorry you have had problems with you Android Box. we have had an Android Box for a year now.  Lots of little problems, However overall we have now worked out how to use the ordinary thing, and geting lots of, TV, Films, World News, Northern Ireland News, 30 stations from all over the world.
  I could go on about Football, Rugby, and other CXXP that I do not want, ( but each to their own )
it is free, and I have no complaints, please forgive me. it is like driving an a TANK, as I was often told.
  The only loose Nut is the one behind the Steering Wheel.  Just William

Jan and Ed

Hi, Just to say we purchased a box on Wednesday and not being computer literate could not make head or tail of it, returning it yesterday we were told we had to have the  ok from Jamie before we could have a refund, we emailed him and he promptly emailed the shop and we have had a full refund, hope you resolve your problem.

guitarman

We bought a 1.9 dish after trying an android box and no comparison, the dish comes out on top , no question.

Dave T

My android box in my lounge is used via wifi and is superb (5meters from rooter)

My bedroom box was a poor picture and buffered a lot! But it was 23meters from rooter so I hard wired it instead of wifi and it works just like my lounge box now.

I'm over the moon with the box sets, movies, watching to shows I like one after the other normally with no averts and the wife enjoys watching the soaps or if she misses one she types the episode number and watches it.

I think you would of got nicer responses if your post wasn't so angry.

Jo-JoB

I bought a new quad core android box off Ebay, cost me £40 and even came with an Air mouse/keyboard, I have a reasonable internet connection (11-12mbps) and the android box is running through wifi.

When I received the android box, I deleted all the pre-installed programs and kodi off it, and then re-installed the latest version of Kodi the 15.2 version, after that installed a custom made build called ''The Black Box'' (available off the internet for free) which has everything you could need, TV, Music, Movies, Boxed sets, Kids programs, Etc. It has amazing graphics and it runs really fast. I can now watch anything.

I have to be honest when I say I, it was actually my wife who set it up.

Neither of us are the most technically minded people, however all the information, instructions and step by step guides about, downloading and setting it up, are available on YouTube. In all It took a couple of hours to remove what we didn't want and download what we did. However it's all set up now and it runs perfectly. You may get an occasional buffering late evening when internet is at its most busy, but it is minimal, less than I get on my computer.

We can only speak from our experience and although sometimes frustrating, now it is all set up correctly, it works great.

I understand that this is a grey area, but the whole World Wide Web is one giant grey area anyway, virtually every piece of information on it has some sort of copyright protecting it.

PAULT

I agree quad core boxes are best for stability and picture quality.
The comment about the price on Ebay and Amazon.fr are all for the purchase of Quad core Boxes.

Rod

If you buy a cheap Android box you will get what Roger describes but if you go for the quad core box, I have a Minix 8H, you should have no problem. Buffering is not just internet connection, my link in a post above explains what causes it.

Tetley

Quote from: OSCARPED on October 24, 2015, 11:15:46 AM
:tiphat:
Thing is we all have more time than we had when we were working
so problems look bigger,
Answer BUY A DISH AND CHILL OUT
till the next problem arrives :drinks:

:lol:

In my 16 years around the area,this is the best advice ive ever read......... :rofl:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

OSCARPED

Thing is we all have more time than we had when we were working
so problems look bigger,
Answer BUY A DISH AND CHILL OUT
till the next problem arrives :drinks:

Lorraine

Well publicised where? I've never heard of this second smaller dish option and I am curious. At the moment we do as Filipe does and download from the net.

Roger

Forget the legal / illegal issue. We all know that we at best are in a grey area.

As for getting a good TV reception.
I tried the Android route for many months.
It worked but the quality was not that good and there is buffering.
The sound was out of sync.
The hardware is very sub standard.
My laptop gets perfect reception using the same system, but the android box is rubbish.

So I ditched the system. It is alongside my TV unused.

For a time I linked my lap top to my TV, instead of using the Android box.
That was much better, but sometimes the system went down at peak times.

I now get ALL TV channels (BBC, ITV and Sky) using my original dish plus a second small dish, and paying a very small annual sub.
Very good picture and absolutely no buffering.

The alternatives are well publicised.

felipe

Using an android box is as illegal as using a SKY box. Same pictures different way of viewing them.

The android works great for many people but you do need at least 12meg internet connection if watching live TV. Most that I know use the box to watch the programs the following day as they can be downloaded on the box.

Personally I do not have one I prefer to download all the programs that I want to watch from the internet store them on an external hard drive that plugs into the TV or my ICECRYPT box and watch them that way. I have downloaded loads of the SKY box sets from various sources. Even recent ITV and BBC programs like New Tricks and Lewis (watching episode three tonight) are available the day after they have been broadcast. All in HD too.

PAULT

To deal with problems Android boxes you need first to understand there is nothing special about an Andorid Box.
The Android TV box is basically a tablet without a screen.
If you are having problems with your Android box the best thing to do is to load Filmon onto your tablet or smart phone. You can use you laptop etc if you can download Apps.
If you have problems running Filmon on these devices it is probable that your internet speed is to slow or unstabalised. Either of these will cause buffering or drop outs.
You should also be aware that if you turn on ITV to watch Emerdale etc there are probably millions of other people trying to watch at the same time Filmon runs slow.
If you have two of the common problems with Filmon.
First is the screen locking with a message say you need to register and the other one seems to be locking out of Filmon.
The first and second are resolved quite easily
Step 1 go to settings
Step 2 go to apps
Step 3 go to the Filmon apps
Step 4 go to force stop
Step 5 Press OK
Step 5 Return to Filmon
Film on will open, if a channel does not open go to say BBC1.
When the channel opens go to the top right hand corner of the screen and you will see
"Free sd/ Free hd ". Promptly select free hd.
This should mean that you do not get the message about registering.
It is also very easy to uninstall Fimon and reinstall it this will also resolve the above problems.
If you really are technically challenged get a satilite dish.
The other comments about the remote supplied with the Andriod box they are rubbish to use.
You need to buy an air mouse. This is a small keyboard pointer device which allows for easy and rapid changes of channel and provides a keyboard when needed.
This device can be purchase from Ebay .com or from amazon.fr for from 12 Euro plus a small delivery charge or free delivery on Ebay.
On both these sources you can purchase Android boxes for under 50 Euro.

bikermalcolm

Almost nil buffering with my quad core box hard wired to Arboleas town hall broadband

Elena

I have 2 android boxes both from Jamie. I very rarely watch live tv, but yes there can be a little buffering. I prefer to watch tv shows when I want to watch them. You must also have a good internet provider. Jamie is always on hand to put new add onns on your box so you can have a variety of different ones to use for live tv. If you want to go with a big dish feel free, there are some of us who cannot afford one.

byrney

People paying for Sky in the UK are acting illegally using their cards in Spain.  But, hey ho, we all live "on the edge" on occasions.  As always, it's down to the risk you're  prepared to take.

Seriously though, I have read this Forum for years and the one consistent factor is the quality of your Internet provider.

You pay for what you get.  Buy cheap and that's what you get.

Best thing is to ask your neighbours (not the "experts") and you'll soon find the best bet for you.

Remember, some will give you all sorts of c*** about "oh, you're in a dip so reception isn't good" - get real - the signal which we all receive is from a satellite a thousand of miles above us, so why does a hill make any difference.  You are being conned.

Rod

Read this, not just the box that can cause you problems..... http://www.tvaddons.ag/buffering-tips/
It refers to Kodi but covers most buffering causes.

sherbert

Despite your childish comment about my handle??
I don.t know how long you have lived here , myself  quite a while so please believe me things do take time here.
Re the Sky issue connecting to Sky in Espania is outside the Sky remit,despite paying for it in Uk I accept you do,but Its a bit like driving a UK  car here after the Uk tax expires you continue driving ?

Ammonite

Actually, Sherbert, I do have a Sky account, although registered in the Uk, so I'm not stealing, so let's get that sorted out first.
Secondly, what's this about, Patience? Why? If I want to watch something on the telly should I need to sit and twirl my fingers until something appears? Nah!
If I buy something that's supposed to work I expect it to. If it has problems, it shouldn't. It should do what is says on the tin/box and WWW.
And the word, Sherbert, reminds me of what I used to suffer as a child, Lemon-flavour. My cheeks indented inwards and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. lol

Tetley

Quote from: Ammonite on October 23, 2015, 20:15:00 PM
Tetley, as always, a mine of useful information. I'll take on board what you've written. Thanks. I still owe you a cuppa. lol

we got the box from the shop in Albox nr Mercodona it was abought 130e,then a forum member set it all up for us.

sherbert

Ammonite,
Think you should slow down,this is Spain not the RAF despite all your qualifications letters after your name etc. ( I have a few  ) when you chose to live here It is not  the same as UK  Anderiod box does work I have had one from Jamie for years, yes it does have a few problems but at least its legal? you Say Sky big dish,
If you recieve Sky here  You are stealing from Sky customers.who pay for the service.
Understand your frustration but hey ho this is Spain the word is patience

Ammonite

Tetley, as always, a mine of useful information. I'll take on board what you've written. Thanks. I still owe you a cuppa. lol

Tetley

I know nothing abought tellys,boxes ,or electrico..but we bought a MINIX M8  Androide...its hard wired on Arbi 12e net and it works as good as the old telly dish we had before the space shuttle bumped the statalights.

this post is for info only   :tiphat:

Ammonite

I feel I have to write this. I bought an Android box a couple of months ago and it had a few problems.

To begin with, the TV picture quality is poor at best, although the movies, when I could get them, were HD. And before any wise-crack thinks to ask, I've tried it on three different screens, an LCD x2, and an LED.

However, all-in-all, I have suffered from buffering and loss of program content while watching, especially when the world-at-large is on the net. University Challenge is a favourite with my wife and I, but if there's buffering the contest goes to pot as we miss the questions and answers, as a frustrating example! And before anyone who considers themselves an expert with so-called relevant questions, my download speed is approx'12Mb/s, and the system is setup accordingly.

Jamie, who seems to run the Android thing here, has been exceptionally helpful in his expert advice, but the faults remained.
However, as I now write an up-to-date report, Jamie has been on his 'Internet Support' connection and has worked miracles. It now does what it says on the... box.

I reckon the manufacturer of the Android controller could possibly revise its available functions though. In my opinion it could be improved greatly. And I've read the comments by some that a better remote can be bought through outlets such as Ebay. I'll take a look.
And, in addition to what I've already written, and especially as the fault has been resolved, I will eat humble-pie to say the problem was not in the hardware at all but a corrupted file. Jamie didn't just locate it... he cured it. He's good and gets my vote.
I will use this box, but will also strive to get Sky as well. Should one fail I will have a back-up plan to initiate as well as the use of a Sky system I know very well and appreciate greatly.
Thanks to all who contributed to this forum issue. I'm off to watch the telly.