Olive oil press

Started by elliymob, October 21, 2015, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgin

As indicated above the modern mill tests and analyses the olives and, no doubt, will reject them if contaminated.  The Old mill didn't do that.  the oil they give you at the new mill is the same as they sell and meets health regulations.  Also, olives are very disease resistant so any rarely every sprayed with chemicals (I've only ever seen new plants being spayed - 18 months - 2 years before any harvesting).

PS - I noticed the other day that the mill on the Santa Maria road has changed hands and is now part of the Jarico group - and agricultural supply / services business located in Cuevas del Almanzora

byrney

Come on Tets, where's yer Brit fighting spirit gone.  Surely yer not gonna let a few Spanish olives defeat yer technical prowess?

Do it for Hull, and England!

Tetley

Quote from: byrney on October 23, 2015, 23:34:20 PM
I reckon this is a job for Tetley in his "potting" shed!

Ar bryns ive had ti get mi rosei tinty on....  808  olives by hand......  :alien:  once yev pick a ton of the fxxxxrs,yer wouldent want to be pressing em with a hand press...... and im a steam hen thuisi  arsed   :lol:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

I reckon this is a job for Tetley in his "potting" shed!

elliymob

Hi, I can see the efficiency of scale but when you only have 150 kg of organic olives that you have watched grow and picked by hand it would be nice to have your own oil on the table.

The artisan mill might look dodgy but the mass volume mill is more likely to become contaminated with pesticides etc as grower after grower tip dubious loads of olives in that could be a day old or five days .

Watching them last year at Arboleas there seemed to be no vetting or traceability just weight , admittedly my Spanish is not up to following them .

May be the answer is to buy a press from belcunces at 700€ it will pay its way in 10 year and I could be the guy in a shed lol.

Elgin

You have to remember that olive oil production is big business now and Spain is the biggest producer of olive oil in the world.  Accordingly, growers and presses are getting more efficient.  In new olive groves they plant the trees tightly together like a long hedge and then use a mechanical picker (looks like a very odd tractor).  That way a small plantation produces several tons of olives that are picked in a couple of hours.

When it comes to mills - there was an old village mill in Santa Maria de Nieva.  Because they were not very efficient they gave about 1 litre of oil for 10 Kg of olives.  There is now a new mill between Santa Maria and Huercal-Overa.  Here they accurately measure the oil content of you olives and then give you the amount of oil that is in your olives and then charge a small pressing fee.  The last time I went to the new mill I got 25 litres of oil for 148 kg of olives. the old mill would have only given me 15 litres of oil - if it were you which press would you go to?  Similarly, the old mill didn't look that hygienic - the new one is pristine.

elliymob

That's true, but like most skills , trades there's usually an old guy in a shed . After all what happened before the large co op's ? There surly is a village , community press some where ?

Elgin

If you want to get "your" oil back you have to take a lot of olives to justify the cost of a separate pressing in a commercial press.  Belzunces (agricultural ferreteria at the southern end of Huercal-Overa)  sell a rang of olive presses but they ain't cheap.

elliymob

Thanks , huercal overa is close so worth a look.  There must be a guy doing this in a shed some where . I heard a of a place some where around Lublin but the tale is 3rd hand and has no detail as usual .

karen cecere

theres a place on road from Huercal Overa to Santa Maria de Nieva, I´m not sure if you have to have a certain amount, but they press and you get your own oil back...

ColinC

Quote from: elliymob on October 21, 2015, 19:21:46 PM
Thanks ,  I'm aware of these but last year we was not able to get our oil only oil or cash so we wanted to be better set this year.
If we're not getting ours then it's not worth the effort just to get any old oil might as well buy on the market .

Cheers steve.

That's how I feel about it Steve, I only have a few trees but they are totally natural, organic... This year it is a very poor crop so I don't think I will have enough to press. After last season I bought a mini fruit press but I don't know whether it is up to pressing olives!

elliymob

Thanks ,  I'm aware of these but last year we was not able to get our oil only oil or cash so we wanted to be better set this year.
If we're not getting ours then it's not worth the effort just to get any old oil might as well buy on the market .

Cheers steve.

Tetley

Quote from: elliymob on October 21, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
Hi all

Is there some where to take the olives from a few trees have them pressed AND get your own oil back ?

Or can you hire a press ?

Or is any one selling a press ?

Regards steve

Albox,Arboleas,Lubrin depending on were you are,but it might be to early,normally its mid nov to jan when the olives are fully black and dropping of the trees.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

elliymob

Hi all

Is there some where to take the olives from a few trees have them pressed AND get your own oil back ?

Or can you hire a press ?

Or is any one selling a press ?

Regards steve