Windows 10 again.

Started by webejamin, October 21, 2015, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webejamin

Quote from: Talking Heads on October 30, 2015, 12:51:26 PM
Quote from: webejamin on October 30, 2015, 12:48:33 PM
Someone has just told me that windows 10 will be installed automatically anyway next year :o even if you don't want it :o
Incorrect

You have a year to update your PC to Win 10, if not you will be charged around £80-100 after the free period.

Steve

Been on to my mate, he gave me this link. I know nuffink about pooters coz I'm fick ???
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2999548/microsoft-windows/microsoft-to-get-pushy-about-upgrading-to-windows-10.html

Talking Heads

Quote from: webejamin on October 30, 2015, 12:48:33 PM
Someone has just told me that windows 10 will be installed automatically anyway next year :o even if you don't want it :o
Incorrect

You have a year to update your PC to Win 10, if not you will be charged around £80-100 after the free period.

Steve
DJ to the Almeria Stars..............

webejamin

horsey

I installed win10 a few days ago on an Acer Aspire One that originally had windows 7 starter. No probs at all and all seems fine so far. Will do my other 2 lappys in the coming weeks as the weather gets colder/wetter!
Treat Me With The Same Dignity And Respect You Demand For Yourself And I Will Do Likewise!

Kieron

If you click the Windows 10 icon in your system tray, in the window that opens, there are three small horizontal lines in the top left corner, click this and one of the options is 'check your PC', this should tell you if you if you have anything that isn't compatible.

This doesn't work. It tells me I have no compatibility issues when I know for certain I have. I changed to W10 and at least 2 of my programs would not run and Windows said I would have to replace them. I changed back to Windows 7.

Lynne

Quote from: Kieron on October 24, 2015, 15:12:56 PM
...I hate IE and really not keen on Firefox, both of which seem to take up too much screen.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Firefox as I downloaded a free Add-On and now get no adverts on my Yahoo page or Facebook.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Talking Heads

Never really liked Chrome and kept away from IE because of security issues.
I have for the past 6 years been using Opera.. Brilliant browser!

http://www.opera.com

Steve

wrenchman

If your chrome keeps crashing, go back to an older version http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.oldapps.com%2FChrome%2FChromeSetup_172_31.exe&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFCQc_ZLX5v-vXiDdswVl52kOPZYQ this a sight for older versions of chrome without the new updates, the new updates are  causing the problem espesially with 64bit not so much on 32bit.

Kieron

I, and many others, are having issues with Chrome. Sometimes it crashes several times in an evening which is really annoying. I'm on Windows 7 so it's not a 10 issue. They have released many updates recently and although better, it's not fixed. I hate IE and really not keen on Firefox, both of which seem to take up too much screen.

webejamin

Yeah I'm on windows 7 and internet explorer for the last 4/5 years only blips was with provider, other than that it's staying. Thanks for your comments people. :tiphat: 

wrenchman

If you have W7 stick with it, W10 is full of crap and has a lot security issues hence all the updates they keep shoving on you, even some of the updates cause a lot of grief. W10 is like Vista a load of rubbish, ill thought through, believe me i have tried both.

felipe

I have been using it for nearly 3 months now and not had any issues. I had dumped Chrome months ago because it was getting a bit like IE. It got too big for its boots and wanted to know the ins and outs of a ducks wattsit. Log on to here log on to there. It got a bit like AVG, too big and slowed everything down.

Using Edge in Windows 10 now and that runs nice and smooth. 

Half the problems people get with their PCs is down to downloading dodgy programs that then install spyware such as mysearch. Or clicking on pop ups that appear, NEVER click on a pop up no matter what site it is on is my advice.

webejamin

Fink yer right byrney ??? I don't use it for much only emails and browsing, that's enough complications for me. Fink all this techno stuffs gonna be the end of us :o All I get is utilities demanding I use it for billing, bank wants me to use it for banking :o I've told em, I aint avin it  >:(

Mornin byrney :tiphat:

byrney

Webe, Webe, Webe. Don't get dragged into the 20th Century!

These guys who extol the virtues of Windows 10 also liked Windows 8 (where did Windows 9 go?  Clearly MS can't count).

Stick with what you've got mate - unless you're at the cutting edge of technology like Danny and Talking Heads and co - or have ooodles of time on your hands to get your head round it.

I've also ditched IE and use Google now.  More reliable.

Lynne

I was told by a computer expert that there was a problem a couple of weeks ago that caused crashing and there is another major update due next month, so I've decided to put Windows 10 on my laptop at the end of November, just in case.  Can't help with Chrome though, sorry.  I'm so glad I got rid of the unstable IE though and just wish I'd done it before.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

antatoo

I have heard people say that it has caused crashing issues with Google Chrome, which I like using and don't want to change from, so I've been waiting to see if they fix this.
Has anyone had this problem?

webejamin

After asking around, most I've asked in the UK are avoiding it. ???

Lynne

I purposely dumped Internet Explorer because I had been having a lot of issues with it for some time.  I'm now using Firefox and things are much better.  I'm getting on well with Windows 10 so far, I'm just in the process of making it do what I want it to do and looking how I want it to look.  Once I've mastered it then I'll put Windows 10 on my laptop - at least then I'll know what to do from the start.

calbous1

For infomation internet explorer is still available on windows 10 if you want.Go to start menu,open all apps,stroll down to windows accessories,open and you will find internet explorer.

Talking Heads

Quote from: Ammonite on October 21, 2015, 18:53:03 PM
Ha flaming ha, It's full of spyware. I reckon Microsoft are working with their country's security agencies, where whatever is passed on is scrutinised - from wherever. I use my PC every day, but would never for one second consider using 8 never mind 10; and I have nothing to hide.
Ditch 8 & 10, and use only 7.
That's my best advice.

Virtually every bit of your internet browsing is "Spied" upon in one form or another!!
Whether its PC or Mobile !
Best keep cleaning your "Cookies" to stop them blighters lol

Or drop Windows all together and use Linux?
Steve

Ammonite

It's full of spyware. I reckon Microsoft are working with their country's security agencies, where whatever is passed on is scrutinised - from wherever. I use my PC every day, but would never for one second consider using 8 never mind 10; and I have nothing to hide.
Ditch 8 & 10, and use only 7.
That's my best advice, even if it works okay.

webejamin

Thanks for the comments people :tiphat:

Talking Heads

Quote from: Lynne on October 21, 2015, 16:48:39 PM
I switched today - I'm trying to get my head around where everything is because I also dumped Internet Explorer and went for Firefox.  I'm sure I'll get there - one day!   Now then, where the heck have my favourites gone? 

Internet Explorer is no more !!

It is now called "Edge"

Steve

PuffTheMagicDragon

If you click the Windows 10 icon in your system tray, in the window that opens, there are three small horizontal lines in the top left corner, click this and one of the options is 'check your PC', this should tell you if you if you have anything that isn't compatible.

Puff

NB I haven't upgraded yet either  :whistle:

Lynne

I switched today - I'm trying to get my head around where everything is because I also dumped Internet Explorer and went for Firefox.  I'm sure I'll get there - one day!   Now then, where the heck have my favourites gone? 

Allinaname

I switched to 10 few months ago...absolutely no problem, best one yet..imho

felipe

Agree with Steve. I have set it up on two friends laptops for them as well as my own PC. Only issue I found was that AVG was stopping the download on one of the laptops. Unistalled AVG and Win 10 downloaded and installed no problem. Installed a different virus checker and set up windows Defender. Save all important files to a memory stick before installation.

Talking Heads

Yes I have switched over after lots of bad press from the sceptics.
Changed PC from Window 7 and laptop From 8.1.

Overall lots of great features and a lot smoother.
There is a few tip websites on what things to turn off.

Steve

webejamin

Anyone switched to windows 10 yet since the last time we discussed it on here? I'm still too nervous to do it, just in case I end up in Hell over it :'(  But the sirens keep calling every day ???