<
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 23, 2017, 09:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deep Cycle Batteries for Solar  (Read 46773 times)
Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2015, 18:24:44 PM »

Having to replace my 12 volt AGM batteries after 10 years service so looking for good deep-cycle replacements.  I've just located a company in Spain selling Silicon batteries, which they claim will provide over 6000 recharge cycles, discharging down to 20% each time, and can, they say, be fully discharged without adverse effect.  Anyone come across these before?  Or had any experience with them?

Duncan Burr
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 18:28:11 PM by Camarotes » Logged
Arboleas Community Forum
« on: August 28, 2015, 18:24:44 PM »

Trebmal
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »

Can I ask what may seem to be a bit of a dumb ass question.  But solar power! I asked an agent as I didn't see many homes with it installed and was told if it's linked to the grid the good old government want to charge you for producing electric (unlike the UK) who pay you for reducing carbon footprint.

Anyhow I'd be interested to hear your views? And how much your saving (if your using solar for your home and not a stand alone)
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »

Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 22:56:22 PM »

House in campo on top of a mountain with nearest power line over a mile away,so solar and wind turbine plus diesel generator when all else fails is only option. Many others in this area are similarly placed. Installation cost is huge but running cost very low. Until batteries started to fail, annual power cost was around 50 euros per year (1 hour of generator per week) for whole house with pool and workshop.
Hope this answers your question.
Duncan
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 22:56:22 PM »

Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 16:22:30 PM »

Batteries have now arrived and been installed by Solar Phil.  Better than I could have hoped; the generator hasn't been needed since, in spite of a considerable increase in power use.  Water pumps, two freezers, a washing machine, with heater, plus lights and normal power requirement for a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house and no longer have to think about minimising power use.  Nobody visiting would realise that our nearest power line is over a mile away.  Can strongly recommend Interberg Batteries, with more information at www.interberg.com.  And the price, for what I've got was extremely reasonable.
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 16:22:30 PM »

ColinC
phpBB Super Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 21:56:47 PM »

Batteries have now arrived and been installed by Solar Phil.  Better than I could have hoped; the generator hasn't been needed since, in spite of a considerable increase in power use.  Water pumps, two freezers, a washing machine, with heater, plus lights and normal power requirement for a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house and no longer have to think about minimising power use.  Nobody visiting would realise that our nearest power line is over a mile away.  Can strongly recommend Interberg Batteries, with more information at www.interberg.com.  And the price, for what I've got was extremely reasonable.
Very interesting. Was the price of the silicon ones similar to the lead acid? Our system is now 10 years old and 4 cells have failed in the time, 3 of which failed in the 1st 3 years, and now at 300 / 400 euros per  cell it can be an expensive operation to replace the 12! ... If the weather is good (plenty of sun with cool breeze) we rarely have to put the genny, on. But when it is dull we can use it an hour or more a day.. How many and what size are you panels to achieve such good results?
Colin
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 21:56:47 PM »

Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 17:41:32 PM »

Hi Colin,
I have 6 x 200 watt panels on a tracker, following the Sun through the day, but requiring manual adjustment twice a year for vertical alignment, plus a small, 400 watt wind turbine.  These new batteries weren't cheap, though comparable with normal lead acid, and if they're half as good as the spec suggests, will be well worth the money.  Biggest snags were lead time after order of 3 1/2 months, plus added IVA and import duty, which brought price of 24 x 600 ah 2 volt cells to around 5000.  I can let you have contact details at Interberg (extremely helpful I found) and technical specs if you wish, but 6000 recharge cycles and uncharged shelf life above 2 years did a lot to sell them to me.

Duncan
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 17:41:32 PM »

ColinC
phpBB Super Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 20:12:27 PM »

Thanks for that Duncan.. Sounds as if you have nearly double the battery storage to me! I have 12 x 2 volt 800 amp.. ! Phil is our solar man , so if anymore cells start to go down we will have to look at it again and fork out for a full set!

Thanks again,

Colin
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 20:12:27 PM »

Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 18:28:47 PM »

I should perhaps explain that when I mentioned Solar Phil as having installed my system, he in fact trades under the name of sunergyalmeria and is absolutely brilliant.  He was back again today in fact to give the system a full health check, but it has now been running 8 weeks since these new batteries were installed, with no requirement at all as yet for the generator, though I did run it for 15 minutes after 5 weeks just to make sure it was working OK and to keep its starting battery charged.

Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 18:28:47 PM »

Camarotes
phpBB Senior Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 18:55:12 PM »

First year of new batteries now complete, so I can report on performance with some confidence.  Over the previous 8 years, for which I kept accurate records, the generator was required for an average of 430 hours per year.  In the year since the new batteries were installed, the generator has been used for a total of 92 hours, giving a saving against the previous average of 338 hours, representing a cost saving for the year, in fuel and maintenance costs (full service every 300 hours) of around 400.  The only difference giving this level of saving has been the new batteries, everything else having remained unchanged.
Arboleas Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 18:55:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: