BP Garage - maybe a silly question, maybe not.

Started by holmes1963, August 24, 2015, 12:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roboman

Most like,ly scenario is your fuel gauge sender is misreading.
Illegitimi non carbonundrum

Challenger 383

Easy way to find out..find out the tank capacity and how many litres youve put in and if theres a big  difference in the readings then theres your problem   might well be an air lock caused by a blocked vent pipe on the filler tube

Karen4

Just a point of interest, diesel today at Terdiguera is €1.01 and unleaded 95 petrol is at €1.179 a litre.
Cl3880

jabba the cat

Been here for over 10 years cant say I have ever filled up there they have always been more expensive compared to other garages in the area. :tiphat:

barnaby

Not BP, but my fuel tank had collapsed. Couldn't get much deisel in. Service station was saying tank full, fuel gauge was showing 3/4 but tank was slowly collapsing and emptying. First time I had heard of it but fact. Hope for you this isn't your problem. B

tandas

Of course filling the tank up yourself you know if there's an air lock.  More frustrating is when you finish and it clicks on 1cent!  Especially at the Antas Estate garage who always want it.  The third pump in there for diesel puts it all over the ground and not in the car so I avoid that one now.  Much prefer to fill car up myself and can do it there.

guest17313

Firstly, every fuel station has to have a gauge that you can request to be used to check the amount of fuel being dispensed.
Secondly, and the most likely possible reason for your issue, is an airlock in the tank. When you start driving after filling up, the airlock 'disappears' to the top of the tank making the gauge drop.
I am sure someone with more knowledge will give you further advice.
Dave

holmes1963

Went  the BP Garage in Albox on Saturday morning, as usual, to top up the car with diesel.  We'd not done a lot of mileage so it was only just over €15 (about what I would have expected given the mileage we'd done in the previous week) ... and the tank was (supposedly) filled to the top.  Having got home the gauge showed only a 3/4 full tank and there is no evidence of any leak or opportunity for anyone (however unlikely) to have syphoned any off.

I've never had a problem with the BP Garage before (bar their occasional trick of ringing your credit card through twice!) so can't imagine anything untoward has happened ... but has anyone had a similar problem at all?  Is it physically possible for the "meter" to rack up a charge without fuel actually coming into the tank?  Seems really unlikely but I'm a bit confused whether the fuel has mysteriously vanished ... or was never put in there in the first place!

Any thoughts?